Best Tonearm and Cartridge for 4K or under for restored Garrard 301

I have a good set up for digital audio and would like to venture into analog audio. My digital set up is
Cary DMS600 -> Cary SLP05 -> Cary CAD211FE -> KEF Blade. I love the sound!

My first and only TT is a Thorens TD126 with TP16 tonearm and TMC60 MC -> PPA990 and phono stage is Cary PH302.

I bough an old Garrard 301. Planning to get it restored by Jim Campbell. Have a slate plinth. Now I am looking for a tonearm and cartridge that will justify my set up. I am thinking 4K. I could go lower or higher depending on the feedback, cost/value. I am looking for a good bargain. If I don't like it, I can easily sell it without much loss. I listen to classical, jazz, rock, indian music. 

I have never setup a tonearm before. But I looked extensively on the internet and Michael Fremer's how to set up videos. I understand all the different angles, VTA, SRA, Azimuth, Zenith. 

Looks like Michael likes Kuzma 4PT, I liked his review of the tonearm.
I am also looking at linear trackers like Transfi Terminator.
Woody, Triplaner Mk VII, SME 3012R, SME 312, Ortofon RS 309D, Dynavector DV 505/ 507, Reed 3P, Stogi reference, FR 64S, FR 64 FX, Sumiko 800.

kanchi647

Showing 1 response by coolsat

Joining this discussion a little late. I recently upgraded from a shelter 501 to  a rebuild  Koetsu black. My listening interests are mostly blues, jazz and a lot of Indian music (I have lots of LPs from the 60s/70s). The rest of the system is decent

1. Well tempered classic with JMW 12 tonearm 

2. Zu Omen Mk2's and zu event cables

3. Ifi iphono black 3 

4. Benchmark LH 4 preamp ( I swap sometimes with a fantastic preamp built by my friend for me 

(Sridhar)

4. I also have 811 based monoblocks driving the Zu's built by my friend

If I thought that the shelter 501 was good with vocals, the koetsu black is several notches better especially in the midrange. I cannot believe how the same vinyl sounds so much better (more details seem to be easily heard). Granted my shelter was old but this is really good. I have a month to evaluate the Koetsu black and in case I do not like it, I can exchange for a kiseki or others. But so far the Koetsu has been outstanding. Have not yet listed to rock etc with it.

Also, I have heard the same records played back with Lyra Delos; the Koetsu definitely seems better to my ears.  The dealer who I bought the Koetsu from was suggesting that I should upgrade my player to a Merril with a kuzma 4 pt tonearm --) way over what I can afford right now.