best THREE channel amp for about $1,000

Hi all. Got a Krell 250a for stereo sound, Lexicon DC-2 for processing, JM Labs S38 15" sub, and Nautilus 804, HTM-1 and rears. I need a THREE channel amp and have about $1k budgeted. Am willing to buy used, of course. I'm looking for any and all suggestions... Anyone have opinions on Chiro, Kinergetics or Musical Design? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance... B
bazmataz

Showing 2 responses by sdcampbell

In the price range you stated, I'd go with either the Acurus 100x3 or 200x3, the Adcom 5503, or a Rotel unit.
I think your decision here hinges somewhat on how much "audio cachet" you attach to your choice. Given your system, you could consider Krell's 3-channel amp, although I personally believe that is overkill for the center and surround speakers. There are a number of choices: Aragon makes an excellent 3-channel version of their 8008 amp, and its poorer relative, the Acurus, is also a good choice. Truthfully, for surround sound applications you won't go far wrong with any of the less expensive options, including Parasound, B&K, Rotel, or Adcom. I have an Adcom 5503 which I am very happy with. I am using it to run my Vandersteen center channel speaker and B&W rear surrounds. My front speakers, Vandersteen 3A Signatures, are driven by a Bryston 4B-ST. My home theater sounds as good as any I have heard at 3 times the price. By the way, if you aren't in a huge hurry, you can often find the Adcom 5503 on Audiogon - I bought mine for $600 plus shipping. You might also want to consider the Bryston 5B-ST, which is the 3-channel version of the 3B-ST which is a "Class B" recommended component by Stereophile. If you choose to look into the Bryston 5B-ST, check their Web site for reviews (www.bryston.ca). Bryston builds Lexicon, so they certainly have solid credentials. Should you decide to purchase the Bryston 5B-ST, I suggest you contact Danny Oovlin at "Bestofdeal". He offers excellent prices on Bryston gear and I have found him to be very professional. The easiest way to contact him is by E-mail: Bestofdeal@aol.com