Best system under 5K - that is a challenge

Describe the best system you could put together for under $5K (new) - used you just have to be a good scavenger and $5K because it would be challenging. What criterion did you use in putting it together? Why did you choose the brands you mention?
salsero

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Okay Salsero:

You want me to put together what I think is the best possible system I can put together for about $5K that is a challenge??

Okay then Salsero, you're on!!!!!!!

Let's see here:

Speaker System: Vandersteen 2Ce (early production model -- 1993-96..... stands included) -- $900.00 (used).

Power Amplifier: McCormack Power-Drive DNA-0.5 -- $600.00 (used).

Preamplifier: McCormack TLC-1 (buffered version) -- $500.00 (used).

DVD/CD/SACD Player: Sony DVP-S9000ES -- $600.00 (used).

Jitter Reduction System: Theta TLC + High Current Power Supply (to be used between the Sony DVP-S9000ES and the Theta Chroma DAC) -- $250.00 (used).

D/A Converter: Theta Chroma (for Redbook CD Playback) -- $300.00 (used).

Phono Stage: Monolithic PS-1 + HC-1 Dual Mono Phono Stage + High Current Power Supply -- $425.00 (used).

Turntable/Arm System: Rega Planar 25/Rega RB600 -- $800.00 (used).

Phono Cartridge: Grado Reference Sonata -- $500.00 (new).

Interconnect Cables: MITerminator 2 and MITerminator 3 -- Free (used...... I already own these, and I find them to be EXTREMELY trustworthy....... so therefore, I am going to cheat a little bit and use the cables I already own...... so acquiring these will not cost me anything).

Speaker Cables: MITerminator 2 -- $185.00 (new....... I would sell my existing "single-wire" pair to recoup some of the cost and upgrade to the "bi-wired" ones so that I can "bi-wire" the Vandies).

Power Conditioning: Monster Cable HTS2500 -- Free -- (used...... I am going to hold on to my power conditioner too).

Actually, this was the system that I also considered building five years ago before I decided to go ahead and started building my current system. Only during that time, the original 1997 system was going to feature a Pioneer Elite PD-65 as my CD Player, and then I was going to combine it with the Theta Jitter Reduction System and DAC that is stated above. And then, I have developed some sort of facination with SACD now, so out goes the Pioneer Elite PD-65 and in comes the Sony DVP-S9000ES. Oh, and that system did not include an analog playback system back then either (wasn't into analog back then like I am now) But nonetheless though, this was a $10,000.00 system back in 1997, and now, I know I can assemble it for under $5,000.00. So then with that said, that wasn't so hard, was it Sal (LOL)?????

OR

If you want me to do a home theater system for that same $5K, then I can do that too. And here's what that will look like too.

Speaker Package: Snell Acoustics K.5 Mk II -- $2,000.00 (used).

Audio/Video Receiver: Denon AVR-3802 -- $650.00 (used).

Television/Monitor: Panasonic PT-47WX49 HD RPTV (16:9 47") -- $2,000.00 (new).

DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DV-37 -- Free (used....... I will use my existing player).

Interconnects and Component Video Cables: Monster Cable Video 2 -- Free (used....... use the ones I already have).

Speaker Cables: Monster Cable "M" Series -- $600.00 (new).

Power Conditioning: Monster Cable HTS1000 -- Free (used...... again, I am going to use the one I already own).

Okay Sal....... you didn't get me at all on the audio system, but I believe you got me on the home theater this time around (I'm about $200.00 over budget), so with that said then, think you can spot me $200.00 (LOL...... And begging forgiveness)????

Regards..........

--Charles--