Best Subwoofer for Magnepan speakers

Greetings Audiophiles ! I would like your imput. My present system is composed of the following: 1. Conrad Johnson PF-R Pre-amp. 2. McIntosh MC-300 Power Amp. 3. Magnepan 3.5 Speakers. As everyone already knows, the maggies have a great soundstage (with a powerhouse amp) but are somewhat weak on the bass. So do I want a subwoofer with a built in amp or do I want to power one with a dedicated amp? What brand subwoofer? Budget around $1500.00
I really value all your opinions! Thanks Kyle
128x128hifihutch
I just added a Legacy rf Xtreme, i was a bit skeptical since the thing has 2 15" drivers, and you read all the stuff about maggies being fast and subs not being able to keep up or whatever. Well, from what I can see, it's just a placement issue and having a sub with enough flexibilty of adjustment to get a good seamless blend with the mains. The Legacy works great, I have it doing very little, it just fleshes out the lower octaves and provides that low end impact only when it is there in the recording.
The Rel Strata III works beautifully with my 1.6QR
speakers. The current version is the Strata 5.
Hello,
You may be still looking for a good sub. I also have the
2.5R's and I spoke to a Mr. Hsu at Hsu Research. He designs
subs that are built in ...ready China! I bought the VTF-MK2
and I couldn't be happier.
Check him out at http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Ron
Does anyone have experience running the James EMB-1200/1500 subs with Magnepans 3.6. Is the passive radiator design effective? Any fans of the Paradigm Reference Servo-15 with Maggies? Would appreciate recommendations for any subs up to $3k.