Best sub for music,

Not HT, repeat not the boomboomboom of HT  effects.  which does not offer the high fidelity of musical sub bass (20hz-40hz) 
I'd have to go with the seas W26E001. which has a magnesium/aluminum cone. 
What that raitio is, not sure, seems 50/50. 
None of us here like the sound of those old aluminum cones. But my guess is Seas had to incorporate some alumium inorder to gain the 20-30hz and also mabe keep costs down. 
This YT vid says **Aluminum cone** which is confusing YTers.
Its a  composite, and perhaps the best ture woofer on the market.
Been around for ages, still hard to beat for pure natural low mids. .
Magesium is the best material to keep unwanted resonances out in the  60-1k range, very low/hardly measurable distortion. 
The issue here  tops out at 1k, so its really a  sub. 
This woofer may be a  good candidate to pair with a  5 inch wide band. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSiuaMWodzI

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=362:e0026-08s-w26fx001&c...
mozartfan

Showing 2 responses by jheppe815

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I have to jump in and state what mijostyn stated above is excellent advise. After 30+ years in the audio world (home hi fi, car audio, Pro Audio), having large (or many) cones move very minimally is the key to low distortion and, if using ported cabinets, very little cause for port noise.

I am a big fan of sealed cabinets, but a ported cabinet can extend lower with a flatter (on paper) response if done correctly. However, with gain, crossover point selection and room loading, a sealed cabinet can provided a flatter response than what is shown on paper, like a ported cabinet can, as frequencies get lower.

Two (or more) subs seem mandatory to my ear. I can hear the soundstage pulled towards the subwoofer in a single sub setup in a home system or pro audio system.

In my main home system, I am using two 18" JBL 2269H drivers in specific JBL cabinets (vented design for recording studio use) for low frequency extension beneath my JBL 4349’s for strictly 2 channel music reproduction. Each sub frequency driver is being run by a JBL Synthesis SDA-2200 amp in bridge mode at 790 watts (admittedly, not the most high end of amplifiers-but I’m affiliated with a JBL Synthesis dealer, so I use what we sell). The 4349’s are driven by a McIntosh MC312 and the system is crossed over by an outboard home hi fi crossover at around 80 hertz. Lots of power for effortless driving of the system. I am tainted by JBL low frequency "color" due to all my years in pro audio. There is a familiarity to me of how JBL low frequency drivers reproduce low end and I enjoy it. I could go into why I like the accordion surrounds, paper cones, etc., but that gets boring...

18’s in a home? That seems illogical and nonsense. However, those cones simply don’t move at low to moderate levels. Again, goes back to what mijostyn states about low distortion levels when the cones (air pistons really) are not moving much. I have zero vent noise or chuffing. Again, being a sealed cabinet guy, I was quite hesitant on these cabinets but after implementation of the system, that large driver (and it’s construction) simply sounds good. At full tilt with the drivers reproducing frequencies in the 20’s, it’s scary as to how much fun it is. I have other systems in the house in smaller rooms with tiny cabinets (and one system with a tiny subwoofer) and 50 watts of power, but I hardly listen to them anymore due to just how much fun it is to listen to a large system with subs driven by big power in a big room.

I’ll probably get promptly booted out of here and banned for life for suggesting 18" JBL drivers on an audiophile forum, but just wanted to share my experiences and I’m having a ton of fun with this setup. Dual 10’s or 12’s should be a starting point for any addition of subs. I applaud everyone for at least considering subs in their home system. For decades I ran a small, low power, no sub, intimate system in my main room thinking, "nah, I’m good if the cabinets start rolling at 50 or 60 hertz". Life indeed begins below 40 hertz.
mijostyn - Thank you for the warm welcome.  I agree, pro sound / commercial amps may be all you need for subs.  I have used QSC amps for decades and they are very solid performers.  As well, a decent Crown professional amp isn't too expensive and will drive (home) subs with the good damping factors found in those amps.  Your assessment of 1,000 watts of A/B power with high damping factor for subs is spot on. 

Side Note:  The JBL SDA-2200 amplifier is the identical twin to the Arcam PA-240.  Somewhat clinical sounding in audio reproduction, but very, very accurate and controlling of the driver.  Plenty of power too for in the home and the ability to bridge the amp for mono use is helpful in my situation.

ditusa - The B460's are fantastic.  Great sounding and looking sub for home use.  What do you use for power on them?

I've played my system for two audiophile friends that have great, reference systems for the first time after I had it complete this spring.  The look on their face when they hear subs at this level (not just volume, but sound quality) is priceless.  It's just a whole different experience when that area below 50 hertz is fully realized by a decent driver designed specifically for that frequency range with good power behind it (and crossed over correctly).  I'm not saying my system is excellent or of audiophile quality (though I do highly recommend the 4349's)...it's just very enjoyable (to me) and has made me want to listen to music much more now than I had in the past 15 years.  I'm also lucky I have a large enough room to enjoy it in and my wife couldn't care less about how many big, ugly boxes I stack up in the living room.  I'm fortunate she enjoys the new system too.  

I have noticed a large shift in music production recently where it's obvious the music is being mixed and mastered on studio monitors with extended low frequency reproduction and with instruments with the computing power to get down low.  Where as you used to have listen to pipe organ music 30 years ago to get into really deep frequencies, standard pop tracks are reaching way down into the 40's and 30's (or maybe lower at times).  [Grab some rock albums from the late '70's or early '80's and you wonder if they mixed it on anything but Yamaha NS-10's.  Is the kick drum and bass guitar really in the mix...?]   Another argument for adding subs to your two channel system.  D_mn, I'm having fun with the mess of junk I have in my living room.

Great discussion, and again, thank you for letting me add to it.