Best speakers under $500? Fire away!

Looking for suggestions for budget speakers under $500.  Can be floor or bookshelf.  
Let's hear the suggestions for the experts out there!

Thank you
34dean
johndorsey... thank you for your input.  So............. with ecerything you have read, what is your recommendation?  ELAC UB5's or B6? Or another?

OK... I think I have narrowed down my choices to the ELAC Debut B6 and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1.  Both are roughly $259 shipped and can be returned easily.  Sensitivity is 86/87db for both.  

Any input on which way I should go?
Now for something completely different, if you can DIY a little, the Lx minis from Madisound  are in your price range. The caveat is that you need to biamp using the Linkwitz active crossover, which may blow your budget. These do the best staging I have heard in this price range, and look , er, awesome, if you are into steam punk

"I think I have narrowed down my choices to the ELAC Debut B6 and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1.  Both are roughly $259 shipped and can be returned easily.  Sensitivity is 86/87db for both."

Keep in mind that because both are 6 ohm speakers, that sensitivity rating is for 1.5 watts. Correcting to a 1 watt rating will be 84.5/85.5.