Best speakers under $500? Fire away!

Looking for suggestions for budget speakers under $500.  Can be floor or bookshelf.  
Let's hear the suggestions for the experts out there!

Thank you
34dean

Showing 25 responses by 34dean

You already have me very interested in the ELAC's.  Read some great reviews.  
I wonder how much of an upgrade they would be over my Klipsch RB-61 II speakers?  
akg_ca... good point!  :)

My budget system is:

NAD 3020 Integrated Amplifier (Completely restored, recapped, serviced to factory fresh specs)
Onkyo C-7030 CD Player
Musical Fidelity V90-DAC
Bluejean cables
GREAT info gents.  Much appreciated!
The 95db RB-61's sound great but I wanted to compare them to another contender.  The sensitivity of the ELAC's do concern me though with my vintage 3020 driving them.  
I have always been a Wharfedale fan and the Diamond 10.1's are supposed to be killer for their price.  Have no idea about the Denton's.  Will need to research.  

Any other suggestions?
tls49... going to listen at higher levels and will see how many lights illuminate.  I was at only 10 o'clock volume the other night and 4 of the lights lit up.  
jl35... I would very much like to try the Infinity's and have read nothing but rave reviews.  The problem is I can't find them?  Can anyone help?
Also read great things about the Tannoy Eclipse 3 but again... tough to find.
tls49... I agree.  I need a 90db+ speaker which eliminates many including the ELAC and Diamond 10.2's.  

I need to look at the specs on some of the other recommendations here.  
I really would like to try the ELAC's but their sensitivity concerns me with my 20 wpc 3020.  
I agree mesch.  The Infinity's are 92db and would probably match up well to my 3020.  
I can catch a great deal on Monitor Audio Bronze 1 speakers.  Is there a noticeable upgrade in the 2's?
johndorsey... thank you for your input.  So............. with ecerything you have read, what is your recommendation?  ELAC UB5's or B6? Or another?

OK... I think I have narrowed down my choices to the ELAC Debut B6 and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1.  Both are roughly $259 shipped and can be returned easily.  Sensitivity is 86/87db for both.  

Any input on which way I should go?
Going with the ELAC Debut B6's to start.  Thank you all for your terrific input.  
I have not pulled the trigger yet on anything.  My plan was to start with the ELAC's and then also bring in the 10.1's and MA Bronze 1's and compare all with my current Klipsch RB-61's.  I agree with people here about listening to as many as possible.  But I need to do that at home.  

I realize that spec-wise, the MA's might match up best due to my 3020's 20wpc but bc it is what it is, I think it can drive almost any speakers in this area.
ELAC's are 6 ohm.87db
Wharf 10.1 are 6 ohm 85db
MA Bronze 1 are 8 ohm 87db

I listen to music at "normal" listening levels.  
With my current Klipsch, I am only approaching max output with the amp at very, very high listening levels.  Perhaps the ELAC's are not a good match as many are saying here.  The MA's sound like a better match.  
itzhak1969... that is the one I am leaning towards right now.  Seems to fit my system best and the reviews are great.  
I am testing a pair of Q Acoustics 3020's on the referral from a trusted audiophile who states they punch well above their pricepoint and sound amazing.  
I love the look of the Dentons just unsure how they would meld with my NAD 3020.  
Been listening to the Q Acoustics 3020's for a day or so now.  They are warmer and more refined than the Klipsch RB-51's.  Top end is extremely accurate, mids are nice and bass is tight and precise.  I have them 7" from the wall which seems to be pretty good.  

Next up will probably be the Wharfedale Dentons.  

My NAD 3020 is having no problems whatsoever driving the less sensitive Q's.  Very impressed with this little gem of an amp.