Best speakers in the 3000 -5000 range

I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers and would any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. My current setup is Hegel h-100 amp,Hegel cdp2a cd player with transparent audio super mm2 cables and b&b n804 speakers.

Thanks
will11201

Showing 2 responses by kurt_tank

I agree with Edorr that the original Revel Studios are a very good speaker, and a good choice in this price range. (I sold mine for $4,400, so they are in your price range.)

They have a very well extended treble response, and there are front and back tweeters, which have controls to adjust the level, in case you want more or less treble response. (FYI: The treble response, while very well extended, is not quite as refined as my current speakers, (the EgglestonWorks Andra II speakers, which have the renowned Dynaudio Isotar tweeters). But the Andra II speakers cost double what the Studios do, and it took a side by side comparision to hear the difference.)

The mid-range is excellent and very musical.

The bass response is deep and very quick. (They have really quick bass response, and no trace of boominess at all, IMHO, which is one of their strengths.) They are not quite a full range speaker though, as they don't quite go down to 20 Hz, but they do get pretty close.

They have very good imaging and soundstaging. The build quality is very good as well. For the price, used of course, they are highly recommended.

(However, I do understand that aesthetically, they are not everyone's cup of tea. However, both my wife and I both appreciated their contemporary looks, and they looked just fine in our fairly modern decorated living room.)

My two cents worth.
Good Luck in your search.
Yes, and not only that, but the speakers that Audiozen recommends will make Eric Clapton sound like the best guitar player of all time!!

(Sorry, Audiozen, but I just could not resist due to your recent thread.) ;-)

>Best Guitar Player thread, in case anyone else is interested

However, Audiozen is correct, that you need to match your speakers to your room size, (as well as to your amplifier).

Good Luck in your search!