Best small signal tube for a preamp?

Is there inherently a "best" small signal tube for use in a preamp? Assuming all other things are equal-which of course they never are.
Choices are 6922/12AT7/12AU7/6BK7/6BZ7/12BH7/6H30II (and varients to the listed tubes - e.g. E88CC for 6922, etc.).
The reason for my question is that I am auditioning the Lector Zoe, which can use all of the above tubes by way of its SATC ( autiomatic tube adaptation) circuit and user switchable 6V/12V plate voltage.
I am interested in your reason, which might have to do with inherent sonic characteristics, predisposition for problems such as noise or microphonics, or availability and economy of NOS tubes being better for one tube type over the others. All responses are welcome, and in return I will let you know the results of my listening with the different tubes that I try.
mitch2

Showing 5 responses by rodman99999

If you haven't heard the Siemens CCa from the '60s(grey plate under getter support),: you haven't heard all the music. The entry price is steep(I had to find three NOS, matched pairs for my BAT VK-D5), but worth every dime. I've had a wide variety of the 6922 family in my ARC pre-amps, California Audio Labs Sigma and Delta DACs, etc. and nothing has come close to the musical realism of this tube. If you are looking for "tube sound", "warmth", euphonics, or sugar coating: don't waste your money. All you'll get through this tube is the pure unadulterated signal.
Hi Newbee- You got me there!! It's been awhile since I've owned those CAL pieces and I've slept since then. BUT- You're absolutely right, and what I ended up with in there was the Telefunken ECC803S. If you're looking at that family(12AX7) what I said about the CCa applies here as well. I can't imagine ARC running a bias hot enough to shorten the life of a tube as rugged as the CCa(10,000 hrs expected). If they did the units would positively eat lesser tubes. Honestly- I've never listened to 6H23EBs in my VK-D5. I had Siemens E188cc's in it until I could find the three matched pair of CCa's(a pair from Brazil, and two from W Germany). Had to get rid of those original tubes ASAP(don't want to say, "Russian tubes" 'cause the unit itself was designed by one, and I love it). A less expensive experiment would be to try 6 E188cc's in there. If they are more musical: remember that the CCa's will be another magnitude of improvement. I don't believe you'd be disappointed at any rate. Even after going through finding three matched pairs and at the cost of entry! Happy listening!
Hey- Weren't the 6H23's what came in the VK-D5? If so- I guess I DID listen to them, and started tube tasting right away. One more thing: If you shop for those CCa's make certain you're looking at tubes from the 60's. They have a dull grey plate under the getter support. The ones from the 70's have a shiney plate and will sizzle your ear hairs(of course- some would call that, "detailed")! I you make the switch- You won't be shopping for another CD player for a long time.
"I have used the CCa's Rodman99999 talks about in a SF Line 3 SE I used to own, and they are nice but maybe a touch on the clear/extended/neutral side of things compared to the better Amperex's which are a little more in the rich/organic/full-sounding camp - both have good bass." Mitch2- This is a very accurate assessment of the sound of those tubes(good ear-Kudos).
You're right Mitch- If a piece of equipment is already too bright or forward sounding, the CCa's might be too much(like a lot of cable mis-matches). I've found with the BAT VK-D5, CCa's and a pair of Kimber Select 1130s: everything encoded on the disc makes it to the rest of my system(nothing added, nothing missing). Great at reproducing the depth and width of the original recording venue's soundstage as well. This is what "tube tasting" is all about.