Best Rock Albums in 2009, so far

I would like to nominate the album: Keep It Hid - Dan Auerbach. From 2008 I reaaly liked Only by the Night - Kings of Leon
perrew

Showing 5 responses by martykl

Some good ones listed already. I'd add:

Jeff Beck "Performing This Week"
Don Dixon & The Jump Rabbits "Nu Look"
Alejandro Escovedo "Real Animal"

IMHO, only the Beck record is really notable (he can play a little bit, huh?), but the other two are fun records that disappoint a bit because they just can't quite measure up to the best these guys have done in the past. (I'd say the same about Eno, Wilco and U2.) If you want non-RnR records from RnR(ish) artists, the Van Morrison record and Allen Toussaint's "Bright Mississsippi" combine music and sound quality. The Toussaint is straight jazz/blues, but SQ is off the charts - among the best I own.

Marty
I just picked up Booker T's "Potato Hole". I suspect that it will prove to be my favorite record of the year (over the long haul). It's a little odd, however, since so little of the record (other than the title track) is the funky Booker T of the MGs. This is more a rock record. Definitely a surprise, but a pleasant surprise. A look at the players would have provided a hint, I suppose.

Marty
Shadorne,

I agree completely. I've always felt that his band was outrageously good. Their music always seemed to just spontaneously start a party. So, when I was planning my wedding six years ago, I actually tried to hire Booker T. & the MGs for the reception (the cost wasn't too much higher than the local Stax/Volt cover guys I ended up using). Unfortunately, he couldn't clear the date. I'm still bummed when I think about it.
Another terrific release:

"My Old Familiar Friend" by Brandon Benson.

I've always loved Benson's solo stuff and I also like White Stripes quite a bit. Therefore, it was a surprise that I found myself disappointed by The Raconteurs material. I figured that maybe Benson's best work was behind him. However, this is a first rate record with very sharp songwriting. Probably goes to the top of the 2009 heap for me.

Marty
I'm on a bit of roll with recent purchases. Just picked up the new cd from the Bottle Rockets, "Lean Forward". This band was basically an Uncle Tupelo spinoff and their first 2 cds were rockin' singer/songwriter stuff with C&W overtones. They steadily added more rock/blues to the mix and the songs become grittier, but IMHO, less finely crafted. This release appears to marry the best of both worlds. I've only been though it once, but on that basis it seems to be a keeper.

Marty