Best preamp for YBA Passion 1000 mono blocs

Hi everyone,

I've just acquired a pair of YBA Passion 1000 mono blocs from one of my fellow last week and I'm now in the process of searching the best preamp to match them with. Previously, He had been using the matching Passion 1000 preamp but somehow he felt it was too bright, then he sold it and switched to tube preamp instead inwhich he told me it was far better matched with this big monos than YBA preamp itself.

That sound a bit strange to me since, from what I've heard, YBA gears are prone to system synergy and would work at its best only in conjunction with their own gears. However, I'd like to know if any of you has successfully been matching any tube preamp with YBA power amp. Any thought or recommendation??

Thanks,
benn
I have used passion monoblocks with YBA passion preamp. I liked the combination very much.
What source are you running?

You could consider the preamp stage in an Audio Aero Prestige, or the one in the Audio Aero Capitole Reference. They are awesome, you just have to squeeze out the performance out of them ... but you won't need much else after that!

except perhaps a whest audio dap.10.

I hope you really enjoy those amps as they can produce some unbelievable sound. Real yet MUSICAL, perhaps not pure but IMMENSELY ENJOYABLE.

congratulations!
It seems strange that you found the passion amp/pre amp combo bright. YBA gear especially when used with other YBA gear is usually not considered bright. Is there a problem with the equipment possibly? Has anything been modified? The combo should sound stellar if all is well. What source(s) and cables are used? What output sockets on the amps are you using as each has a different damping factor? IMO I would have kept the pre amp.
Hi Benn,
I am currently using the YBA PASSION 1000 power amp in conjunction with the first generation YBA Passion 1000 twin volume control pre-amp.

I also have the second generation YBA PASSION 1000 pre-amp connected to two 600 Passion power amps. The second generation YBA pre is more warm than the first generation pre.

The Passion power 1000 is a very warm amplifier and is perfectly matched with the YBA pre amp. The 600 YBA amps are more bright and analytical to be honest and work better with the second generation YBA passion pre. I have looked for a decade for replacement pre-amp but nothing comes close to yba... There are a number of second hand YBA pre amps on sale btw on hifishark.

The interconnects are crucial here. I use TQ ultra black and AQ go4 for speaker cables which gives the perfect synergy.

Lastly where did u by the 1000 monos from. Any modifications? Check the transformers under the metal plates. You should have two twin115V transformers with the YBA logo printer on them.  

Has the bias been adjusted to run properly at Class Alpha?  YBA 1000 run optimally between 10 to 15mV bias current. I change the bias depending on the volume and speaker sensitivity. Over the years this drop down to near zero with detrimental performance to the sound quality.

BW
Paris