Best Preamp for under $1750.00

Seeking recommendations for a preamp in the $750 to $1750 range. Balance of system consists of Aerial 8's, Bryston 7B's, and CAL CL-15. Room acoustics and speakers would favour lean over lush; I'm looking for something musical without being on the "warm" side. Music preferences include acoustic, jazz, and rock. Will re-cable according to final selections
emmett

Showing 1 response by gmorse

Your post and another thread that is currently running got me thinking about the solid state Bel Canto preamp, the PRE-1, that was built to go along with the EVo 200.2. This is a very transparent, musical preamp that doesn't get in the way of the signal. It doesn't have a solid state or tube signature, really, at least not that I can hear. Very transparent, without being too lean or too lush. Sounds great with the Evo, but I imagine it would also do well with the Bryston. My friend was running it with the California Audio Labs CL-20 with great success. The slight warmth and fullness of the CAL gear seems to match well with the transparency of the Bel Canto solid state. I haven't checked recently, but there have been a couple of PRe-1 for sale here on Audiogon, so even though the unit is over your budget new ($2300, I think) you should be able to find one in your price range used. Good luck!!!