Best Pre-amp for $500??

What kind of fidelity can I get for $500?  I also need a remote and a couple of digital inputs (so need a good DAC) and a few analog inputs?

Thx
randy-11

Showing 4 responses by meerzistar

Do you mean without built in DAC and plan to add a separate?

Without DAC or remote capability If a remote wasn’t mandatory there are some very good sounding used preamps by Sumo, McCormack micro drive, Sugden AU-41, NAD monitor series come to mind, Bryston 0.5.

RC preamps at and under $500 Classe CP-35, also research Rotel and Nad they both make a handful of modestly priced good sounding preamps. Personally I would look for a Classe 35. I know there are two currently for sale if you perform some searches they shouldn’t be difficult to track down.
I know its a matter of opinion but there are a few dated NAD preamps (and built in phono stages) that punch higher than there price would suggest. Being said I was not sure on your DAC situation. this would leave some room to play and get you into something. And also leave a step in the form of cash to build on towards the other box.

500 can only get you so far. The Classe does not have a built in DAC but it is RC and an excellent sounding preamp with build quality. Baby steps, try to practice patience otherwise you may end up disappointed.
OP you haven't mentioned your power source or speakers for that matter. The more you give the more you help you can usually get.  

I parenthasisized phono not in attempt to push interest rather my point being they aren't under achievers and hold there own against some of the shiny therefore pricier preamps.    
This Grant Fidelity DAC-11 can be configured to work as a preamp, input capability, versatile little DACs and you can play with tubes   - inputs-  2 sets RCA, 1 coaxial, 1 optical and 1 USB-, no remote. http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html

I still like the Classe option, having used one for a while and plenty of others, tough to beat for the money. That and a Sim Audio D100 could be swung for around $700.