Best Phono stage under $1200? Audiomat?

What do you guys (and girls) recommend as your preferred phono stage for less than $1200 (new or used)?? I'd prefer a small case, but I'm more concerned with the sound. Does anyone have any experience with the Audiomat Phono 1 ????
dhillock5466

Showing 2 responses by sedond

based upon michael fremer's review, i'd say the camelot fono-stage would be at the top of my audition-list. based upon the comments of others a short while ago, when i was also looking for a reasonable fono-stage, i'd say the aragon 47k would also be worth a listen - a couple folks said that its lesser sibling, the anthem p10, smoked the musical surroundings phonomena & the lehmann black cube. i tried teh phonomena & found it too dry for me - even drier than the fono included in the linn kairn preamp. i"m now *really* happy w/my pentagon ps-3, which retails for ~$1750, but i picked it up for a song, cuz no one in the usa has ever heard of it - it's very nice. it used to be distributed here by discovery cable, mebbe they know how to get one. but, it's a full-sized piece. for a smaller unit, also check out the benz lukaschek - also highly touted.
jc, when i was looking for a fono-stage a year ago, one of these cotangents came up on the used market at a great price; i called gordon rankin, owner/designer of wavelength, to ask him about it, & he said to forget about it w/a low-output mc. now, i wonder if i coulda gotten away w/it - my preamp has so much gain that i run my 0.35mv-output ortofon mc25-fl (gordon sez it's really <0.2mv) on the fono-stage's lowest gain setting...

doug s.