Best Of 6550/KT88 Tubes Under $100/pair

System dependent yes, but hope to bring some helps to save a little time and money for people who are deciding which to go for.

Amp - AQ1001

1. EH-KT88 Safest bet in terms of price and performance, has got everything from top to bottom. Vivid and lively sounding but not the smoothest may be a little(just a little)bright for some. Should wins the best buy tag.

2. Svet Winged C 6550 - Warm and smooth. Mid is more bodied and rounded than EH. IMHO very good for vocals. Can be No.1 depending on what music you prefer.

3. Sovtek 6550 - Not bad at all, a very good transistional if you are waiting or saving for something higher grade like Tungsol re-issue.

Wanted to try Ei-KT90,Chinese VA KT88 and Tungsol RI but that will come later. Tks.
rainchild

Showing 1 response by tube8417

Hi, I am an owner of a pair of VTL MB-300 amps and I am very pleased on their performance until I changed the tubes 6550x16 to the new reissue tung-sol tubes so far in the 5 houres of operation at 25 milliamps (meter on front of unit) I currently have 3 failed tubes These tubes start with an unpredictible flash and a very loud pop in the speakers The last (third tube) blew the B+ fuse and caused speaker damage. These TUBES ARE NOT RECOMENDED!!