Best Of 6550/KT88 Tubes Under $100/pair

System dependent yes, but hope to bring some helps to save a little time and money for people who are deciding which to go for.

Amp - AQ1001

1. EH-KT88 Safest bet in terms of price and performance, has got everything from top to bottom. Vivid and lively sounding but not the smoothest may be a little(just a little)bright for some. Should wins the best buy tag.

2. Svet Winged C 6550 - Warm and smooth. Mid is more bodied and rounded than EH. IMHO very good for vocals. Can be No.1 depending on what music you prefer.

3. Sovtek 6550 - Not bad at all, a very good transistional if you are waiting or saving for something higher grade like Tungsol re-issue.

Wanted to try Ei-KT90,Chinese VA KT88 and Tungsol RI but that will come later. Tks.
rainchild

Showing 3 responses by rainchild

Hi Psam,

Tell me more about your amp, it's a very beautiful baby. Have you compared it to Jolida JD502B or the Prima Luna Prologue Two? My next amp could be any of these three.
Hi Psam,

Tell me more about your amp, it's a very beautiful baby. Have you compared it to Jolida JD502B or the Prima Luna Prologue Two? My next amp could be any of these three.

"They are not as loud as the EH KT88". Do you mean the "POP" or the gain?
Just got the chance to listen to KT100 Valve Art. Very Powerful sounding. A DIY P-P Mono 2 each side 60 watts driving a pair of big AR9 to a very satisfying level. Bass is tigh and rounded, may not be as low as SS amp but very enjoyable. Highs seems like there no row off, to some it may be a little too emphasized but I think it sounds extented and very dynamic(Tested by Time from Darkside of the moon-Pink Floyd)Intro of this track kicks in with alarm clocks and bells. Only a very slight hint of sharp edges which I think can be trimmed by some tuning, if you are familiar with this song you know this is quite good already. Mids may not be as smooth as EL34 but the richness, gutsiness and liveliness make it forgiveable. Downside, may not be the choice for SET lovers, KT100 is a typical all rounder tube. Tubey sounding? of course. Reliability? I don't know but VA claims that KT100s are their highest quality and higher workrate selected bunch of KT88. I hope it live up to this claim.

Thanks Bombaywalla and Psam.

One thing about Prima Luna is that it's auto bias, to many this could be a selling point but to me, I still prefer to have better control over the amp especially in the area of bias. Cayin is more what I like.

Winged C-6550 should be more preferred over their KT88.
If you still searching and uncertain, go for EH KT88. If you have a choice in mind, compare it with the EH first before you spend your hard earned money. KT100? I like this tube. What I heard in Asia about TungSol RI 6550 is a mixbag, some say it sounds like Sovtek and some say that it sounds 70% of the Org Tungsol. Abstract isn't it?

My audio philosophy is simple and may sounds stupid. "Always let your amp bully your speakers, never let you speakers bully your amp". So power is important, anything can give me a satisfying top to bottom passed the first audition.