Best Of 6550/KT88 Tubes Under $100/pair

System dependent yes, but hope to bring some helps to save a little time and money for people who are deciding which to go for.

Amp - AQ1001

1. EH-KT88 Safest bet in terms of price and performance, has got everything from top to bottom. Vivid and lively sounding but not the smoothest may be a little(just a little)bright for some. Should wins the best buy tag.

2. Svet Winged C 6550 - Warm and smooth. Mid is more bodied and rounded than EH. IMHO very good for vocals. Can be No.1 depending on what music you prefer.

3. Sovtek 6550 - Not bad at all, a very good transistional if you are waiting or saving for something higher grade like Tungsol re-issue.

Wanted to try Ei-KT90,Chinese VA KT88 and Tungsol RI but that will come later. Tks.
rainchild

Showing 1 response by bombaywalla

Thanks for the info Rainchild.
You are correct that this info is very amp specific. I own a JoLida 502A which has been heavily modified component-wise. I also use used old-stock input & driver tubes.
I have not heard the PrimaLuna nor this particular Cayin.
However, in stock form the JoLida 502A is a dark sounding amp. It also sounds a bit closed-in. The bass is a bit loose as well.
Post modifications, it is a much better amp - more open sounding & much tighter bass (I'm using the winged-C Svet 6550 that came w/ the amp). However, compared to amps priced higher (say 2-3X it's retail price), this amp is still dark sounding. It uses a heck of a lot of global feeback (I was a bit horrified after one look at the schematic! But I got what was coming to me as I paid very little attention to the words "ultra-linear operation").

They say that the winged-C Svet KT88 works the best w/ this amp followed by the EH KT88. The opinion could vary wildly, of course! I'm getting ready to try a new quad & am wondering which one to get - winged-C Svet KT88 OR EH KT88 or Tung-Sol 6550 re-issue. So, your post provides some info in this direction.
I do agree with you that the winged-C Svet 6550 is warm & smooth. Good for Jazz & maybe even classical but lacks "growl" for other genres such as rock & blues. I'm looking for some "growl" in my next set of tubes. Looks like the EH KT88 might be it?
People have commented that the winged-C Svet KT88 has quality issues. Am I mistaken?