Best multi-channel pre-amp for music under $1000?

Well, I don't listen to a ton of multichannel music, but I do want a one box solution for music and movies, 2-Channel classical music as the priority. A seperate stereo pre-amp, even with ht bypass, would be too much trouble for my girlfriend who watches most of the movies.
I do not need on-board processing, more than 6 channels, amplification or video switching. I think my ideal match is the McCormack MAP-1 (too expensive), or the sony TA-P9000es, (but I can't bear to pay higher than msrp for a used unit, unless of course you guys think its worth it). I'm wondering if there is anything under $1000 new or used that might do the job, even if its less sexy? My source is a Philips dvd963sa.
boldstrummer
Can anyone out there sonically compare the Audio Refinement Pre5 to the Sony TA-P9000es? How much better, if any, is the McCormack MAP-1? I don't think I can audition any of these...
I bought the MAP-1. It replaced an Audio Research LS2B. It is quite simply, at $2,500, a steal! And it does not have a bunch of needless electronics inside that can veil the sound of a good stereo source. Additionally, once you hear the MAP-1's ARM music surround mode, you will probably never listen to 2 channel the same way again.
$2,200 seems to be the going price for a MAP-1 from McCormack. Though it has many limitations, its beautiful sound lies in the fact that it does not have a bunch of extra crap to muck up the sound. No digital inputs, no video switching, no decoder chips (DAC's or ADC's). It's the closest thing to a straight wire with gain that I have ever heard.