BEST HARMLESS/SIGNATURELESS SPEAKERS CAPACITORS.

Dear friends:I really need your helpwith first hand experiences with speaker crossover capacitors founded in next main experiences/tested premises: for a 3-way speaker design, high resolution audio systems, very low distortion audio systems, wide systems frequency range, " zero trade-offs ".

I know that the best capacitor is NO-capacitor, well I need your near to that full experiences with another desired premises from you: audio systems using SS electronics and mainly listening MUSIC through digital sources.

All your opinions/help are appreciated.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas

Showing 12 responses by cal3713

@rauliruegas Looks like I don't have the values you need, but I do have an extra pair of 2.0uF V-CAP TFTFs... would happily sell them to you as I ended up with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil's in my preamp.
When I added Duelund bypass caps to my speaker's crossover I thought I got a bit better tonality, but also some "smearing" in the imaging.  In the end, I preferred without the bypass.  I did like the bypass cap on a coupling capacitor in my amplifiers though...
Not the same application at all, so take it with a grain of salt, but within the week I'll have tried TFTF V-Cap, Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil, and Duelund Tinned-Copper CAST as my preamp output coupler.  So far I prefer the Mundorf.  Burning in the Deulund as I type.

My experience is that everything sounds like something and the only way to know is to replace it.  I have a Duelund preference (tinned-copper CAST in both my DAC and tweeter crossover), but like Tidal, I'm using ceramic drivers.  I do believe that impressions are *highly* system dependent and things that may work beautifully in my system could sound horrible in others.  That said, I do believe that drivers that tend toward analytic benefit from a high quality copper/film cap, and that Duelund will out perform its competitors in that role.
And I'm cheering for you Raul.  It's a shame your cap values are so large that you can't just buy everything and try them all...

When experimenting on my speaker crossover, I used these so that I could test caps without soldering (https://www.zoro.com/burndy-mechanicl-conn-trminl-8-to-14-awg-1-cond-ka8c/i/G4677766/)...
I wish I did not, but I do hear a difference between different fuses.  That said, I find the differences between capacitors a much larger effect.  My preamp has two outputs that are identical besides the output capacitor and I'd be shocked if anyone on this site didn't hear the differences when switching between the two.  Super easy to do blind a-b-a testing on something like that too.  Similarly easy to unscrew my tweeter cap and test out those differences with an external crossover.
Hmm... Perhaps I'll give a pair a try in my crossover too. Easy to do for $10. 
Have not yet, but will next time I'm making a mouser order... Looking forward to hearing them. 
Hi Raul... finally ordered a pair of the MKP10s to try against my 4.7uF Duelund Tinned-Copper CAST high-pass tweeter caps.  I'll let you know what the comparison sounds like.  Also planning on trying the ODAMs in my pre-amp, but am not quite ready to spring the $150 for a trial... easy to pull the trigger on the $20 for the WIMA capss and shipping.

@rauliruegas I’ll refer you to Ralph’s (@atmasphere) last post (first on page 3) in our other capacitor thread for some relevant discussion regarding parallel caps of different values...

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/preamp-output-capacitor-mundorf-supreme-vs-supreme-silver-oil...
Congrats.  Perhaps, as Bill noted, it's the reduction in impedance from paralleling caps that is helping?  I often don't understand why things are having the influence they are, but it's always great to get an outcome like that, regardless.
Looking forward to the report.  I have my MKP10s on hand for my tweeter crossovers, just have to find a time to install.  Will get around to it in the next week or two...