Best female vocals on CD

Want recommendations for Female recordings on CD. Thanks Joe
jwstannese647
...and now for something from left field: JEAN DANTON is a Boston-based soprano who cut a disc on Albany called AMERICAN DREAMERS: about 25 songs from Foster through Ives, Kern, Gershwin, Bernstein (inc. a couple of premieres), recorded at Jordan Hall (more intimate acoustic than Symphony Hall) with Stumpf on their Steinway D. Her simple and honest stylings are a refreshing change from overproduced fair, and the recording is magnificent, with LOTS of ambience. Lemme know if you can't find a copy. Similar to Dawn Upshaw's artsong outings but with less coyness or preciousness!
My current favorite is Shirley Horn. No question. Try "I thought about you" on Verve cd. This is a master at work. Passionate singing combined with a piano style few can match. Pure talent. Sara Vaughan is my first choice among singers who are no longer with us for jazz. Mahalia Jackson is my choice for greatest of all time. Pure talent once again.
Anybody out there ever listen to a couple of pretty obscure albums from a yound lady by the name of Valerie Carter? Very impressive indeed. But then she just up and disappeared. Also can't say enough about Karla Bonoff.
Siddh, check out kd's "Absolute Torch and Twang", the production is not so heavy and the songs range from fun to moving. Wotta voice! She swoops, but with pipes like that she is allowed to. First cut on "All You Can Eat" is good to test the system for boominess.
Here's a new one that I just picked up. Dolora Zaijick "The Art of the Dramatic Mezzo-Soprano. On the Telarc label. She is a classical singer with an outstanding voice. Still really don't know who she is, but she sure can sing.