Best DAC for around $2,500 or less

What are your opinions on the best DAC for under $2,500?  Looking at the Schiit Yggy or many of recommend Denafrips so looking at their Pontus.  Any thoughts on how these two compare?  It might be misguided by I tend to think your getting a little more for your money with a direct to consumer company like Schiit and I know they are highly regarded for their DACS.  Anything else to look at in this price range? 
mvrooman1526

Showing 2 responses by dougeyjones

This should be easy, go over to ASR and filter the database by SINAD for the money, done.

So basically, none of the things mentioned in this thread besides the Topping DX3.
I wish I could say that it was that easy for me. If that were the case, I'd have the Benchmark hooked up and sold the BorderPatrol. Turns out, my preferences don't align to perfect measurement... but when you really think about it, I think most people don't. Not a perfect analogy, but I bet everyone here also knows someone who (some what annoyingly) way overuses Instagram filters in their photography. Is that a more accurate representation of the picture? Definitely not. Does it give them some joy / describe a mood / something else emotional the original did not? Likely.
DAC's aren't at all like Speakers, or even Power Amps when it comes to adding flavor to sound systems. 20 years ago, when I was young and impressionable I might have agreed with you, but when the goal is converting 0's and 1's to an analog waveform, measured performance really should be king, imo. If you want to add a sonic signature that you find pleasing to your system I feel like the equipment to do that with are primarily speakers, followed by amps.

Sources, which DAC's are, now that the majority of people are using computer based front end's, should be as clean as possible, and SINAD is one of the best ways to measure that.