Best CD player under 5000

I am in the process of replacing my 10year old phillips CD-80 with a new player. What are your recommendations I prefer tube but am looking at all. Thanks
128x128czbbcl

Showing 2 responses by lornecherry

Hi Leafs, I had a chance to hear a properly setup Meridian 508.24 and the new 588 (I preferred the 508.24). My experience at Alternative Audio in Dundas was far different then any other Toronto dealer so far. Equipment was properly set up with Symposium Rollerblocks, Golden Reference Cables, Blue Circle Amps and preamps and some real nice sounding Merlins. I auditoned three rooms at Altenrative Audio and the Meridian, Blue Circle, Cardas, Merlin synergy was among the best I have heard in a sub $50K systems, bettering my Sony SCD-1 on Redbook.

Now that I've said all that, here's my question: I have a chance to purchase a used Meridian 508.24 for $3K CDN ($2K US). Have you compared the Meridian to the Audio Aero you were previously recommending that I audition? Is the AA THAT much better? -- (I have trouble justifying $9K on any CD player.) Let me know what you think. And anyone else out there with 508.24 who has compared it to the EMC-1 and Audio Aero or Mephisto II, I would like to know if you'd think the older Meridian (508.24) is still competitive to the better players under $6K US.
That darn EMC-1 just keeps coming back -- so many of you think its the best under $5K, I'm beginning to believe you. Where in the Toronto area can I hear one so I can finally justify the purchase and finally compare it with the Meridian, which I have heard and liked?