Best CD player under 5000

I am in the process of replacing my 10year old phillips CD-80 with a new player. What are your recommendations I prefer tube but am looking at all. Thanks
128x128czbbcl

Showing 1 response by jim

While some folks are on the subject of Resolution Audio... I know I'm marching to the beat of a drummer's beat that most people won't hear but here's my next digital upgrade, nonetheless.

I have a Quantum DAC which gives the current Resolution products a run for their money even though it is based on the Ultra Analog chips (no longer around) rather than the Burr Brown's.

These can be had for less than a grand these days (originally sold for $3200). I plan to pick up a second Quantum and a Resolution Cesium transport and run in a balanced format. One DAC per channel. Takes lots of PC's since the Quantum has separate power supplies and cords for analogue and digital sections. Less than 3 grand and it slays.

Now I'll add that I am really re-focusing on analogue and my priority is upgrading my nearly new (but used) Oracle table to full Mk V specs and spending real money on a great cartridge.