Best CD player under 5000

I am in the process of replacing my 10year old phillips CD-80 with a new player. What are your recommendations I prefer tube but am looking at all. Thanks
128x128czbbcl

Showing 1 response by globalquesta108

Hi in the interest of diplomacy may I suggest the Marantz SA-1? It plays CD's as well as any high end dedicated CD player, while SACD performance is superb. You can also try the Sony SCD-1, which is more punchy but less transparent, and also plays both SACD's and CD's. I myself have more than 500 CD's that I have collected over the years, the vast majority of which have not been released in SACD format (it's not just for fun that manufacturers have made all the new format players backward compatible with CD's). SACD and DVD-A recording/playback formats are superior to that of CDs, but a top notch CD player (and I don't consider a Rega Planet a top CD player, unless you scale for value, which is pointless if you are looking for absolute performance at a price point) will sound better than all but the top of the range SACD/DVD-A players.