Best cartridge

Apologies in advance, since I’m certain that topics like this have been posted ad nauseam.. 

While my digital music collection numbers in the tens of thousands of tracks, my vinyl collection is quite modest (50 or so albums). As a result, I’ve never invested much in my TT setup. I recently picked up a vintage Marantz TT and am interested in an updated cartridge to bring it into the 21st century. I’ve got an NAD PP-3 phono preamp I’ll be using which will feed into my Classe CAP-151 integrated. 

Let’s go on the assumption that I know nothing about cartridges, and please just make your best recommendation for a first upgrade that would represent a good value and work well with my other components. 

If this matters, I’ve found the synergy between my JBL Synthesis HDI-1600‘s & Classe Integrated to be quite laid back compared to my Monitor Audio REF 700 PMC bookshelves, and since I’ll primarily be using the JBL’s, if a cartridge can emphasize HF extension, that’s something I’d be interested in. 

Thanks in advance!
128x128dougeyjones

Showing 3 responses by dougeyjones

It makes intuitive sense to me that cartridges from vinyls heyday would’ve been manufactured with higher QA standards than now, since Vinyl was the prevailing technology of the day. Even if modern manufacturing processes exceed those of yesteryear. 

Cool info. 
Update: Bought a Technics SL1300 MkII for a song with no cartridge from someone who didn’t know what they were selling. Have a friend repairing/replacing any broken bits and installing an Ortofon 2M Red as part of the updates. 

So SL1300 MkII —> Ortofon 2M Red —> NAD PP-3 —> Classe CAP151 

Should carry me for a good long while I think.
DAC’s don’t all sound the same, and I’m fully aware that analog sources and equipment in general are more sensitive to small changes. 

Appreciate the advice so far, including the recommendation of getting a “wheel of steel”, that’s in my eventual purchases list. 

In the meantime, I’ve bid on a Pro-Ject RPM 1 with Sumiko Pearl cartridge that’s listed here on AudioGon, which I believe would be a very meaningful upgrade from the vintage Marantz. 

As for the “why”, for me it’s more of a “why not?”. I enjoy music in general, my goals don’t include outperforming my digital front end, vinyl to me is a more tactile and involved medium that requires additional interaction with your system, which I enjoy.