Best bookshelf monitor under $1000 new or used.

Taking a member's advice and starting a new thread.

I need help picking my first set of speakers and amp!

Right now I'm just running lossless music out of my computer but eventually I would like to get a good player and turntable. So I will need speakers and and amp that will work well with all three of these.

Not really sure at this point what kind of sound I prefer, but I just want something that will blow my mind in quality either way.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Later,
Nick
nickclarson
KING OF THE MONITORS: DYNAUDIO!

They really are impressive. Check out the 140's or the 52SE's. HUGE bang for the buck. Very neutral, detailed and fun in every sense of the word. I have looked into NHT, Quad 12L, Monitor Audio GR10, but nothing moves me like Dyn does.
I 2nd Rkerv's response. I own a pair of 52SE's too. Just be prepared to feed them with a fair amount of power though.
All good responses. I have a pair of Focal Chorus 806V's that are some of their smaller "bookshelf" speakers and love them.

I also play lossless music- FLAC/SHN off my hardrive through a Linksys Music Bridge and it works excellent. My amp is an ancient Audio Research D-90 Tube/Solid State hybrid with their SP-12 Pre-amp. Also use a Bob Carver
D-8 Dominator Subwoofer that is perfect size for my room and really sounds excellent.

All in all I'm very happy with my system and highly recommend the Focal speakers and Bob Carver Sub. Hard to not like.
I like the Triangle Titus 202.

Easy to drive, sounds great with any kind of music at any volume, front ported to help with the low end you'll need if the shelves sit up high and truly small enough to fit on most any bookshelf. Add a sub later and you have some serious full range sound.