Best blues guitarist, Clapton or Green

I know Clapton is God, but is he a better blues guitarist than Peter Green.
cody
An interesting comparison between the styles of SRV and Johnny might the the song "Boot Hill". Each did their own version, Johnny's is on "Guitar Slinger". I can't remember which CD SRV'S is on. Johnny's is good, hard, gutteral blues and he sounds like he may well be ready to carry out the threats outlined in the song. By comparison, SRV's "Boot" sounds like it was done in church. He even apologizes for the content of the song in the liner notes. Guess which version I like better?
Sd...; I enjoyed your post above, but I've got to say that the Blues is an evolving form of music and as Dennis (above) noted, Johnny Winters is great too-- even though his forte is more blues rock. I have some of his music that really smokes, and I consider it pure Chicago (electric) blues. He played some with Lonnie Brooks, and the combo was great. Although Lonnie Brooks does not have the guitar skills of others noted here (he's still pretty good), his music is some of my favorite, and he's played with some of Chicago's great blues artists to include Koko Taylor, and Buddy Guy, and as noted J. Winters. And I sure do agree with you about the acoustic Delta greats-- one I especially liked was Josh White-- not a guitarist, but Delta, and he did sing folk blues with the best. Certainly Clapton is a great guitarist, and can play a mean blues guitar, but I think he mainly went the Rock route for the money, ie I don't think there's ever been much money in pure blues music. Glad to see all the interest in the BLUES. Cheers. Craig.
You Know I have kept up with this thread. I find it hard to believe that when talking about great blues guitarist that no one mentions Roy Buchanan? While I admit his vocals wasn't the greatist, his guitar work is truly great. He lived the life of a bluesman right to the end. (died in the drunk tank either suicide or killed according to whos story you believe) and his blues seem to really be from the heart. Many other blues artist say Buchanan could do things on the guitar that others just couldn't do. While I think sometimes his playing is a little too fast, it is still increadble.Listning to Roy Buchanan do hey Joe live, or Messiah can bring tears to the eyes. Well thanks for letting me rant, Off to listen to some Roy.....
Buzzard's right, Roy Buchanan was one of the greats. I really liked his earlier music, but his later stuff was pretty far out for me, but I certainly recognized his talent. Cheers. Craig.
Tab Benoit. Learned his chops with the late great Albert Collins. Cajun flavor but grounded in the blues. He is a purist, in all respects and his band is oh soo tight (just bass and drums). He produces his own music and the recording quality is first rate. Check out Live: Swampland Jam (check the song "Too many dirty dishes")or These Blues Are All Mine. Great blues voice, technical skills and most importantly, passion. He is ALWAYS on the road. Check his web site at tabbenoit.com