Best band never to release a truly great album?

Yeah, I know, another poll, but these are kind of fun and this one may be a little different. Let's limit it to no earlier than the late 60's (when the album began to be more important than the single). What musician/band do you really like, but has never quite put it all together to make that brilliant album you know is in them.

I'll start by nominating Jethro Tull. Lot's of great songs, but I cannot think of a single Tull record I would call an unqualified success.
curbach

Showing 3 responses by trich727

I certainly have to agree with Bomarc's pick of the Yardbirds. How could that much talent never produce a truley killer album???? First you've got Clapton, then later Jeff Beck, and finally Jimmy Page, along with Keith Relf throughout. Every album has it's gems, but not one solid from beginning to end. Don't get me wrong, I have all of their albums, but there is no Revolver in the bunch. Zaikesman had a great call with Pretty Things, but I think Parachute and S.F. Sorrow are great albums start to finish. They were just overshadowed by The Beatles. Jond nailed the Dead with three great studio albums. BBA was a good call, but they did release the double Live in Japan lp which is good start to finish. Roy B? I love all his stuff. I really can't think of a better pick than the Yardbirds. Tom
Although my previous lack of enthusiasm for the Doors as "The Greatest American Band" was met by disagreement, I would include them in this list. And I still think the Yardbirds are an equal contender. The UK "Yardbirds" lp aka "Roger The Engineer" is basically a compilation of stuff, not an example of a thought out album by the band. Most of the other nominees on this thread have had great albums in my opinion; Tull - Aqualung, Stones - Sticky Fingers or Exile, etc...

Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter, and many others have some great albums front to back, but I don't think they ever expected 100% public approval, or hit after hit. Hell, I love every thing Tom Waits has released, Beefheart, or King Crimson, but I don't think they are sitting around waiting for the awards to flow in. Still, I think the Yardbirds win this one. Tom
A Nod Is As Good As A Wink is a GREAT Wood example, as well as "The Faces" lp. You are certainly correct about Woods finest hours", but he was destined to be a Stone. Tom