Best balanced linestage/preamp for $4000 or less ???

Hey all !!  So I need some help with choosing a preamp, preferably tube, that's a true balance design in and out.. For a 2.1 speaker system.. Need a sub so it'll have to have dual outputs running in parallel if that's the right term to use.. It'll have to have single ended inputs and outputs also.. I use an Oppo205 (Modwright) in the front end for everything digital coming in, movies and music.. But I do my critical listening with music so I use the modded portion of the 205 for that (balance output) and for movies/tv want to use the unmodded single ended outputs..

I have a Classe CA2200 amp and Salk bookshelf speakers and a sub (single ended input)..

I know BAT is out there.. VK31se I'm looking at and some older Audio Research but read them are unreliable.. Anything else anyone else have some experience with ? Will take your opinions seriously as that's how I chose my current equipment...   thanks

I know there's some good stuff single ended but I really want a well balance system through out with my music listening..

oem-wheels

Showing 16 responses by oem-wheels

the Atma-sphere MP-3 , Backert Labs , Freya looking real good to me ... how much you asking for the BAT33 ?

All that in a Freya for only $700 ? uh ..  what's the catch ? Do I have to sell my sister ? because I will ! You have one ? Soundstage, detail all there ?   thanks, I'll check it out

pbnaudio..  That looks cool too.. But I prefer no DAC .. I already have one that I spent good money on..

Backert Labs looks very doable.. In fact I saved the ad to my "watch" list.. I was going to send them a message about if this piece was a true balance design..

no Spectral for sale as of right now..

I know "best" is subjective.. I just meant a real good one that someone really liked above many.. Used stuff is ok with me..
@almarg  ..  would finding a preamp with direct coupled outputs solve this issue ? The MP-3 MK3 is designed this way and I see some other preamps heading this way..

Thanks Al !!!

That was some good info .. I'm going to have to take a closer look about the subwoofer and maybe take it out of the equation for now..

@almarg 

well don't laugh but its a Paradigm Monitor 8 .. Been meaning to upgrade it but been other things first.. Its not bad though is why I keep putting it on the back burner.. Applied the PBK to it.. I checked the specs after I read your 1st post and can't find the impedance anywhere - manual, online, Paradigm website..

BAT makes transformer coupled output with both XLR and single ended.. But after the "false" claims BAT posted on its impedance I think need to look elsewhere..

I think the MP-3 its going to be and find a sub with XLR input

some very good info being said.. learned a few things.. thanks atmosphere.. and everyone with their suggestions.. I'm liking the MP-3 now a lot .. getting rid of my sub as I found out input is 10k ohms

thanks soix... 

pretty sure going with the MP-3 regardless.... but  little out of my price range.. going to have to wait a little longer to get it..

@thosb   I've looked at those and they do look good but pretty sure they won't be able to drive a sub also.. I actually called Sachs.. The wait time to get one of his is 16 weeks, approx..  could be more, could be less
ok guys... thanks for taking the time in helping me out.. from all mentioned there's 3 that seems like fits my taste.. 1 of them hasn't been mentioned here, found by mistake.. Atmosphere, Rogue (thanks ggc), and Wyred 4 Sound's STP-SE level 2 (one that wasn't mentioned).. Called Atmosphere for more info and found that it would cost me about $1500 more than my current budget.. Rogue's latest is about the same price for their top of line.. Talked to them too and they said the latest preamp would work better for me than the one being sold used on Agon..  The STP-SE found a very nice review on 10 Audio.. He liked it so much that he said he bought it.. I know its not tubed but still even with all the upgrades its still under my budget.. And it can do what I need it to do very well.. Right now I have my modded Oppo205 hooked directly to my amp and it sounds very nice in 2 channel.. But I still like to have a preamp to switch sources, add a sub, volume control, balance.. 

I said screw it couple days ago and almost bought an Audio Research 27.. the guy assured me it can drive my amp and sub.. made an offer $100 less than he was willing accept so it stalled.. After more research I found out that Audio Research doesn't recommend anything lower than 25k ohms to pair with this pre..           close one
@ricwa.. I want to add a sub to the mix and they tend to be lower than 25k. Plus I'll be asking the preamp to drive my amp and sub at the same time which makes it even a tougher assignment. 
handyman, you are right.. and so is tweak1 about 2 weeks make a difference..  After taking in all the suggestions  and read the reviews , made phone calls , etc...  I bought the Parasound JC2-BP.. I know, I'm sorry.. I wanted tube..  The tube stuff that seemed to fit the bill of what I wanted it to do was out of my price range.. And some that seemed reachable there was question marks, either in the multiple reviews or when I called them to talk to them directly.. Example, one of the first question is "will this be able to drive my 100kohm amp and a 30kohm sub at the same time ? "  I'd get a pause before the answer and they all said yes.. But to me it sounded like " yes, but... "  It seems as though I'm the only one trying a add a sub to the system the way I want to do it....  Anyway I mentioned the Wyred4Sound STP-SE2.. I called them and without hesitation they said it can be done.. So it swung me to rethink about solid state.. And there's 2 right off the bat that was in my price range.. STP-SE2 and the JC2-BP..  2 phone calls later I pulled the trigger on the JC …  I want to thank everyone for their help.. I hope nobody is pissed at me.. I learned a lot.. Now I'll be looking for a new smaller musical sub that's easy to drive.. 
kaufman ,  I'm really enjoying the JC2.. Sounds really good plus eases my mind knowing all the bits is there.. Highly recommend .. 
Nice.. I'm still enjoying mine... No regrets.. Glad you like yours.. I think I can use an upgrade in the amp department now..  : )  Expensive hobby..