Best Audiophile desktop for under $2500?

My DELL Precision T7610 is crapping out on me.  I was very happy with it and the synergy with my Modwright OPPO205 and sysytem was great. It has trouble playing WASAPI 768khz on the latest JRiver and ROON. Any suggestions on a store or used bought desktop that is Audiophile worthy? I work everyday and dont have time to build one. Thanks in advance!

deanshias

Showing 8 responses by elliottbnewcombjr

kennyc

you are probably correct about the server/streamer, but the OP needs a new computer, so he wants to choose based on member's experience with their audio quality. 

If you stream Video like I do, the audio is originating thru the PC.

Presumably you are feeding the PC audio out to a external DAC to an audio system.

Based on advice here, I switched from simple headphone audio out jack (using pc's DAC, lousy) to USB audio out to DAC (far better) to Luxman Integrated Amp to Darn good sounding Speakers (more important than the data/dac). World of difference.

I had poor speaker location for many years, totally revised my office for seated ear level, centered seating and could not be happier.

I don’t stream separate audio, just Music Videos, YouTube/Smart TV netflix/prime/viki/paramount .... shows, some here in office, most in Home Theater AV Receiver Downstairs. Most pre-recorded, watch without commercials.

Real Dolby 5.1 sources, OR, turn default pseudo surround i.e. 5.1 off, use 2 channel stereo mode, i.e. DIRECT finds 2 channel original, or forced 2 channel. VERY often better sound.

In the office the PC fan(s) and Hard Drive(s) Noise can be as/more important than the digital audio output performance.

For that reason I buy HP compact PCs with both audio and video on the Intel motherboard, no fans, and Solid State drives (no noise). My PC Processor’s fan rarely comes on, and is whisper quiet. Leave proper/extra ventilation to minimize that fan or any extra fans to run.

Intel 730 on the motherboard

Processors are so fast, they have for a long time been waiting for you. Gaming a different world.

OP

that HP Slimtop I linked was just to see one, not a good choice: it does not have USB-3.0 or USB-C, features I would want. USB 3.0 is like lightning, makes USB 2.0 seem like a turtle.

btw, they can be used horizontally or vertically.

Some have card readers, I didn’t pay enough attention, thus I have a small external USB-3 card reader.

Some versions like mine come with DVD drives, and I have a slim external CD drive to make faster copies of Music CDs for the car or friends. That version has small SS drive and larger spinning (noise) HD, not SS. Mine has 2tb SS drive which I only use for programs. I have slim external 2tb usb-3 drive, fast, silent ALL my data is on it (an identical back-up one in my car). So fast you have no idea you are writing/reading from an external drive.

asvjerry

Glad you like that vertical turntable, Mitsubishi LT-V5. Linear Tracking, Belt Drive. It’s very good, the round dial is the heavy counter-weight, it screws forward or back for tracking force. The horizontal versions are Quartz Locked Direct Drive, I helped my friend find and setup a LT-22. Fitting on the top of the bookcase allowed me to have a TT in my office.

I traded a member here my Fisher 800C Tube Receiver for his unfinished project: use parts from his two LT-5V’s to get one that works. All went well!

The Tape Recorder: I bought the Mickey Mouse Dust Cover many years ago, never used it. Now, using the deck vertically for the 1st time, out of the box it came. Teac X2000R

I don't stream hi rez music, just pc sourced content, usb out to dac,

There must be separate sound cards (no fan noise) that are very good, better than motherboard's usb out, right???

just a quickie find, must be even better than it I suppose.

And, what if you want wireless to self powered speakers????

bipod72

I think OP is looking for a PC, perhaps already has a laptop.

I use HP slim desktop PC (actually horizontal on a shelf below the desktop) in my office because Laptops do not have 27" monitors or DVD drives these days. I use 32gb memory for multiple programs open, editing lots of Photos, CAD work, not enough usb 3.0 ports .... i.e. lots of reasons to have a PC. IF so, then go for a quiet one, every part of it quiet as I described previously here.

my laptop, I moved down to 14" screen for easier size/weight (real keyboard). It has Bang and Olufsen speakers (Audio by B&O; Dual speakers; HP Audio Boost).

It has enough volume for several people to hear, and it’s hdmi out passes enough volume when streaming using a TV in a vacation rental or when visiting family.

prior Laptop, max volume sucked.

Let's not forget, PC for Music Videos,

you don't get them thru audio service streamers do you?. They are the Primary Source of 'streamed' content, my PC with a lot of memory and fast processor/ 27" monitor DAC, Luxman Integrated/AR-2ax

I also stream music videos, music tv on my Home Theater, laptop's not gonna cut it.

I do not understand why so many want to tell OP what he wants is wrong, do this instead. 

jheppe815

thanks for the information and link to JCAT web site..

better sound, no fan sounds like it's for me.