Best amp match for Paradigm Studio 100s

Thinking of the following: Anthem MCA-2 - good reviews, inexpensive Bryston 4B-ST - good reviews, a lot more expensive than the Anthem, Is there that much of a difference between these two?? Any other suggestions are welcome. Not too concerned about the cost, but don't want to spend if I don't have to. Thanks
miked

Showing 1 response by bulldogger

The best deal you can make would be to purchase an Aragon 8002 which produces 250 watts into 4 ohms. You are probabely famililar with the larger Aragon 8008. You can find these amps used for around 800.00. They are built like tanks and actually sound better than the 8008 being more transparent with a better balance between highs and lows. I have auditioned a great number of amps and this one is one of the true values that is often overlooked. It should be more than enough power to drive your speakers. The bass is outstanding and it is a very dynamic amp. I am sure many here can recommend much more expensive amps but most will not outperform that amp, and the Anthem certainly does not have the build quality or sound of the 8002. Both the Bryston amps and Aragon will outperform the Anthem. The differences are mainly in the tightness and control of the bass and transparency in the mid-range.