best 2 channels power amp around $3k?

Hi all, I'm looking for a 2 channels amp (150-200W) strictly for music stereo listening. My preamp is the Lexicon MC-1. I've heard so many good stuffs about Krell, Classe, Theta, Bryston, Plinius, Mc Cormack, Conrad Jonhson, etc... Anyway, I'm so confused trying to pick one for around $3k. Can y'all help me please? Thanks
tvuong475b

Showing 1 response by 1439bhr

You've already mentioned some very good amps. Don't forget about the Aragon 8008BB; it lists for around $2800 and offers a dual monoblock design with 200 W/ch into 8 ohms. It's a dual monoblock in that the only common components between the channels are the power switch and line cord -- each channel has a separate transformers, power supply, etc.) It's ranked as Stereophile Class B and considered a great value many reviewers, equalling performance of amps costing several times as much. I bought one after listening to a conrad johnson MF-2500A (200 W/ch for $3500 list), as well as a Bryston 3B (125 W/ch, I think, at around $1300). The Aragon blew away the c-j, much to my surprise -- I was really expecting to go home with the 2500A tucked under my arm that day (if you can picture carrying a 90 pound amp that way!) The Aragon had the sense of controlled power and dynamics that the c-j didn't, and the Bryston hinted at. After several months of ownership, we love it even more, and it's blossomed nicely as it's broken in. Happy listening! Steve