Berkeley Alpha vs Weiss 202 vs Ayre QB9 vs ?

I'm looking to upgrade my DAC and am trying to decide between the various high end (well, not crazy high end like DCS) products.

If anyone has any experience with these and can chime in with their thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
madfloyd

Showing 2 responses by waltersalas

I had the Berkeley for a good long while, using it with a computer configured as a music server and a Lynx sound card. It was a great DAC, and improved a significant notch with the addition of the Straightwire Info-Link cable in place of the Lynx cable. In my opinion, if you are using the Berkeley with a Lynx sound card, the Straightwire is a no-brainer upgrade.

In my system, the Berkeley was incredibly dynamic, with an excellent sound stage and startling clarity. It was the best digital I've ever had in my system by a good margin, and I heard it in direct comparison to several excellent digital players.

With that said, I tried and bought the Weiss DAC202, which is equally dynamic, but more organic than the Berkeley. In my system and to my ears, it is more analog than the Berkeley--which is not to challenge Suteetat's viewpoint as much as to stress how important it is to hear these DACs in your own system if possible.

I would say the Berkeley is the best digital I've heard, but only because the Weiss is the least "digital sounding" player I've heard. Both are great DACs, but in my system and for my preferences, the 202 is on another level.

I have no experience with the Ayre. I think you would likely be very pleased with either the Berkeley or the Weiss.

Glory,

Thanks for your comments on my system--it has been a long process, that's for sure, but it has been worth it.

You're right about the Alpha. Over the past couple of years, it has maintained its value very well, a testimony to its excellence and reputation, I guess. One thing is for sure. I can count on one hand the number of times I have broken even on audio gear!