Benchmark Dac1 - next step recommendations please

I've been using the Dac1 for over 6 months with my dvd player as a transport and long term I'm looking at computer->Dac solution.

While I like the Dac1 the next step is not as clear. Have folks used the USB Dac1 connected to their computer or perhaps upgraded to a higher-end Dac with a Squeezebox solution?

I've heard higher end players costing 3-5 times as much so I know you can get better sound. Current system: Dac1 - deHavilland UltraVerve - CJ 2500a

Thanks for the advice.
adasilva
I would suggest that you speak with Stephen Balliet at Reflection audio (www.reflectionaudio.com). He does a mod to the Benchmark that retains it's virtues while strenghting other areas...he can also instruct on one (there are others) way to go at computer digital.
While my office audio system is hooked up to my computer, I actually listen to music with a squeezebox 3 -> Musical Fidelity X-DACv8 as a source and have been very happy with the results.
Just added some DH Labs ceramic cones under the DAC1, the large size. After trying a few other things I'm surprised by the improvement of the DH cones. Following the instructions on their web site yielded the best results with a firmer, better defined base and lower mid range.
You can actually have your cake and eat it too. With the I2S interface that Empirical puts on the DAC-1, you can add a USB to I2S converter, or a Sonos, Olive or Squeezebox reclocked through a Pace-Car reclocker. This gives you the most flexibility as well as the lowest jitter. No upsampling either.

If you go with the DAC-1 USB (which is a good product dont get me wrong), you will always go through the upsampler chip and you will have USB as your computer audio interface.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio