Bel Canto ACI600 vs Black EX Sepates

I'm trying to decide between these two Bel Canto beauties for an office setup. Both are similarly priced.... The ACI 600 is an integrated version of the 55k Black system. The Black EX separates are the more budget friendly system.

Whatever I choose, they'll be driving KEF Reference 1's.

I'm looking for advice/impressions from people who have owned these systems or heard them at an audio show/dealer. What are the pros/cons of each setup?

Please, no advice on different electronics or speakers.

Thanks!
Ken
keoliphant

Showing 10 responses by keoliphant

Here's the question I asked Bel Canto directly.....

I’ve been busy saving for my new office system and it’s between the ACI600, Black EX Amplifier+DAC, or the Black EX Integrated. My local dealer only carries the REF600’s and hasn’t heard what I’m considering so thought I’d follow up directly with you. The electronics will be driving KEF Reference 1 speakers within a 10’x14’ office. Sound-wise, I’m a bass player so I love rich/tight bass, luxurious mids and clean but non-aggressive highs. All types of music except rap and hard rock. I’m wondering about the following:

1. What are the differences between the ACI600 and the Black EX separates? Relatively similar pricing. Different sonic signature? Any sort of comparison chart for these two?
  2. What am I losing going the “budget” route (Black EX integrated)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Ken

And here's what I heard back.....

Ken,

These are not easy questions. I would say that the ACI600 is a richer sound while the EX separates are perhaps a bit tighter and more dynamic. There is also a liquid quality to the ACI600 that EX might not quite capture. The EX separates have the true dual mono amplifier so the bass definition and ‘slam’ is going to be maximized here.

Comparisons hold true for the EX integrated with a slightly softer sound than EX seperates but similar resolution to the other products, not quite the liquid character of the ACI600 nor the ‘slam’ of the EX separates. In any case these are exceptional products and performance and feature set for each of the price and product categories. Can’t go wrong with any of them!

Hello....Does anybody own ever heard these systems? I’m very interested but this is a big budget purchase.
Ok, no owners or auditions.... What would you do? The aci600 and ex black
separates retail for about 25k. 

My gut says go for the aci600..... It's part of the black family and a cheaper version of the black system.
@yyzsantabarbara : yes, having a difficult time pulling the trigger on a purchase like this without hearing it first...especially given the huge depreciation following initial purchase. The lack of response to this thread is proof that the Bel Canto Black doesn't seem to be a hot product.

With no local dealers stocking the Black or Back EX, I'm having 2nd thoughts and thinking of waiting for the new Hegel 590 integrated or the Luxman 509. The problem with the 509 is that I'd have to find a decent DAC as the Luxman integrated is DAC-less. 
@yyzsantabarbara :
great memory on the wife acceptance factor. She’s all in on the looks of the Bel Canto system but I’m too nervous to spend so much without hearing first coupled with such little community/forum feedback.

So I’m thinking I’ll change gears and try to limit spending to 10k for a permanent office piece with no plans to take home in the future. That makes the forthcoming Hegel integrated a perfect pairing with the KEF Reference 1’s....brand new, does MQA. Should be sweet but don’t want to wait!

that Mola DAC looks very interesting. Looking fwd to hearing it. That might be perfect with the new Luxman.
Totally agree the 360’s more than enough but want to have an integrated with internal dac that plays mqa.....the 590 will, the 360 doesn’t.
@nord  Thanks for the response. Great hearing you liked the Black system.

@markalarsen  wow, great review/commentary. Prediction - I believe we'll end up with the Black EX separates once i'm able to pull the trigger on the home system.

@mlsstl great idea...think I'll end up attending an audio show before I put together the home system.
@karurravi Still trying to decide...leaning toward the Hegel H590 but also strongly considering the Black EX separates. I tried to get out to RMAF this weekend but work schedule didn't allow it. Stay tuned.