Behringer DEQ2496 vs. DSP8024 as DAC

I just got a Behringer DSP8024 digital EQ on an impulse and am loving the room correction. I'm using it as a DAC for my HK8550 CD changer. Didn't know what to expect, so I jumped on an eBay bargain rather invest in the reportedly better DEQ2496. I was planning to use it solely for bass correction in my biwired & biamped system, but I'm loving the full-range EQ.

My question is, is the DEQ2496 an audibly better DAC than the DSP8024? Anyone have experience with both? I'm feeding it to Martin Logan Aerius i's through an Adcom GFP-555 and a pair of Adcom GFA-5200s in a 12x19x9 living room at modest listening levels.

Any first-hand info would be much appreciated.
jacquescornell

Showing 3 responses by plato

I used an 8024 for a while in an InnerSound Eros system for a while and could not get the system to sound good when the 8024 was in it. It was always bright and zingy to my ears. I ended up sending the 8024 back and never regretted it for an instant.

The 2496 is supposed to be better, sonically, but I have not heard it, so can only report what others have said.

Perhaps someone else could offer a direct comparison between the two. Personally, I wouldn't use an 8024 for anything other than bass EQ. YMMV.
I could not get the 8024 to sound good in my system no matter what I did, even with manual tweaking of the controls. I don't remember if I tried it as a DAC, but I think I did. This was about 4 years ago. My main memory was that my system sounded much better after the 8024 was removed from it.
You see, you'll never achieve great sound because your priorities are all wrong. You should be squirreling away $3000 for stereo upgrades and set aside $500 for the computer... You can buy a pretty good PC for $500 these days, but maybe not a Mac.

I don't know, my 8024 never sounded good in my system. But you have a different system in a different room... Who knows, maybe my unit was slightly defective or perhaps they used differnent internal components from a different product run.

If you can find a nice Bolder Cable-modified ART/DIO DAC, that might be a nice upgrade over the Behringer's internal DAC and they can normally be found in your price range. I'm still using one in a second system, and it sounds pretty darn good. :)