Behringer DEQ2496 HELP

After reading the raves about this product, I finally bought one along with the matching microphone tonite. Put in my system, eager to try room correction. The first 2 attmepts produced some curves that I wasn't crazy about, but seemed plausioble. Now, all it does is push all the bands above 125 all the way to maximum boost, and all the bands below 125 to maximum cut. When displaying the RTA of the pink noise, there is nop more htan a 15 dB range between the highest and lowest levels on the curve (as if that were small!)Also, one of the primary reasons I bought it was for equalizing low frequency room problems, yet it suggests htat anyuthing below 100Hz not be included in the auto EQ.
Does anyone know why it is coming up with such odd equalization curves, even though it is reading the data, which doesn't look so bad? Also, how bad is the product at low frequencies?
honest1

Showing 6 responses by racarlson

If you are including the low frequencies in the auto-eq, I think the problem is likely that there is relatively high and highly variable low-frequency background noise. You can reduce this problem by playing the pink noise at a high level during the auto-eq procedure, but you will likely be better off following their advice and using auto-eq only for frequencies above 100 Hz. Lower frequencies should be eq'ed manually, with the RTA providing some guidance but ultimately relying on your ears. Except for the auto-eq, my experience is that the DEQ2496 does an outstanding job for bass eq.
Drubin, I don't know of any sites with tutorials, but you can post your questions here or email me and I'll help as best I can. The interface and many functions can seem overwhelming at first, but you will get the knack of using it.
Rich
Ecruz, I've seen that error message a couple of times. It seems to result from bad input of some kind, for example when I turned on my upsampler (in the chain before the Behringer) with the Behringer powered up. I'm guessing that with the preamp off and thus an open circuit to the input, some noise is being picked up on the input causing the problem.
Rich
On initial comparison, whichever has less upper midrange/treble (bypass or eq)is likely to sound muffled. Let your ears adapt before you pass judgment. If after listening for a while, it still sounds muffled, try one (or both) of two things: (a) whatever cuts the auto-eq made above, say 2kHz, reduce those cuts by half (e.g., if it is -6 dB, manually adjust to -3 dB), or (b) use one of the parametric bands as a treble control by setting it to H 6dB with a frequency of 2 or 3 kHz; boost by a dB or two. Also, make sure that you're not being misled by an overall level difference - try turning up the volume on the setting that sounds muffled.
Streetdaddy - did you EQ the channels separately? If so, the likely explanation for clipping on the left is that some bands are boosted enough to raise the digital level enough to clip. In the Utility menu, Page 1, there is an option to reduce EQ gain offset. You may also want to manually reduce the bands that have very high boost, which could be an artifact of mic position (e.g., a room-induced bass drop that is hard to fix with EQ).
Eldartford is right - there should be no sound out of the speakers when measuring ambient noise. Check your I/O menu and make sure you're not sending the mike signal to the outputs.