Beautiful Colored Tube Preamp ($10k budget) to Pair w/ Very Accurate Monitors (PSI A25M)

I'm helping a friend set up a dream home setup based around (4) PSI A25M powered speakers w (2) PSI A225M subwoofers. Prism Lyra2 D/A converters. I know the PSI sound and it's very pleasing for home listening and of course super detailed  but I do want to provide some beautiful high end color /magic via a tube preamp which really adds a warmth to the sound. So curious what folks feel in the $10k range for a lot of that tube color and help warm up the very accurate PSI monitors some. Main source will be Tidal / streaming audio as well as a CDJ3000 DJ setup playing digital files. Having phono pre not essential - having a few inputs nice to easily switch between streaming and dj setup  =]  Maybe a manufacturer based in North America / US since based here and easier to deal w just in case any issues arise?  But also not essential

dejayos

Love my Supratek Chardonnay that Mick built last year. Just fabulous sound with the stock 6SN7 tubes. Never had a preamp sound so right with easy to obtain new stock tubes. Wish I’d ordered one years ago. It would have saved me a lot of nos tube money. Mick will make suggestions and build what you want. He has a service man in the US.

Thanks,

aldnorab

My vote would be for the Luxman CL-38uC. Complete with basic remote (volume and mute), full MM/MC phono pre with step-up transformers on the MC input, bass and treble controls with selectable turnover frequencies, a tape loop, and balanced inputs and output utilizing transformers , which, like using transformers on the MC input, is the best, lowest noise way to implement balanced on an all-tube circuit.  It’s also very pretty, luxuriously touchable, and “only” $6k. Hard to match Luxy for build quality and longevity.

hey right on what makes you keen on the  6SN7 preamp tubes? yes im producing music and use tube gear, definitely big on getting special nos tubes (always worked with proaudiotubes in the past) =] curious what modern manufacturers opt for, id guess they would go for the best available nos at the 10k price point heh but its no problem to order tubes separately 

yeah the cary seems real cool

+1

porchlight1

2 posts

My vote would be for the Luxman CL-38uC. Complete with basic remote (volume and mute), full MM/MC phono pre with step-up transformers on the MC input, bass and treble controls with selectable turnover frequencies, a tape loop, and balanced inputs and output utilizing transformers , which, like using transformers on the MC input, is the best, lowest noise way to implement balanced on an all-tube circuit.  It’s also very pretty, luxuriously touchable, and “only” $6k. Hard to match Luxy for build quality and longevity.

shoot realized i kinda need one that has 2 sets of stereo outputs... because there are 2 sets of speakers and 2 subs (big room) - unless there is some other way to get around that issue heh