Basis Model 2100 vs Michell Orbe SE II

I am considering the Purchase a Michell Orbe SE II Turntable, but have recently started looking into the Basis Model 2100 only for the reason that I may be able to purchase this model at a good price.

The Michell table is brand new sealed box while the basis is a dear demo used model. The basis included a rega arm while the Michell would require me to purchase the tonearm separately.

If I were to normalize the pricing for comparisons, the Michell would set me back about $1300.00 more then the used Basis. This takes into account the fact that the new Michell table is more expensive and would require the purchase of a tonearm.

Which is the better turntable; the Basis Model 2100 or the Michell Orbe SE II?

Which one do you think is the better deal ?

Thanks
tazuser

Showing 2 responses by tazuser

Thanks for the information. I certainly welcome additional comments as I am not yet sure which route to take.

The cartrigdes I am considering are the Benz Glider or ACE , but have not ruled out the Dynavector cartridges. Its hard to say at this point because I am just starting out.

I see that the recommendations are leaning towards the Basis over the Michell. I don't seem to be able to find as much information on the Basis product line as the Michell line.

Does the Basis Model 2100 use suspension?

Is the Basis a belt drive ?

Anyone know what kind of motor the Basis uses?

Thanks
Gundam91,
If you purchase everything all at once and buy such expensive gear new they will usually give you a discount. I can't afford to buy everything new and all at once.
Besides the margins on the SME V are so high that most of the discount is coming from the tonarm. I think the SME V new retails for almost as much as the table itself. Thats my take on this for what it's worth.

Regardless, you got a great deal and if I could do the same I would.