hi
need help
Basis Debut Gold Standard Mk V Vacuum w/ Graham 2/Benz ruby =around $6.5K-7K
or
sota cosmos iii Vacuum and Origin Live Illustrious-$5K

please help me to choose
trane878

Showing 1 response by tubes108

Currently I am on my 2nd Basis Debut (with vacuum) and the sound is A#1. The reliability is without question as is the support from Basis should you ever have a question. Part of the reason for the superior sound is the unique hydraulic suspension on the Debut. Only the $30k or so SME 30 has something at all similar and the SME was released long after the Debut’s introduction.

Due to the Debut's suspension, it is immune from the vibrations (hey, use a sledge hammer on the 'table stand while playing an LP and there is no sonic impact). This suspension provides sonic benefits including superior micro dynamics, that is you get more involved in the music as the ‘table captures low level action that most other ‘tables ignore or blur. In addition, this suspension eliminates the requirement to purchase a fancy and expensive turntable stand as the Debut works well on any surface. This allows spending most of what you budgeted for a stand towards LPs.

Like the Debut, the Sota is known for having an effective vacuum system that does no harm to LPs. The Sota also is an excellent ‘table. I don’t think either ‘table would be a bad decision, though I cannot compare the 2 arms in question. But, I do think the Debut is a more refined product sonically.