Basic technical question about digital source signals

Forgive if this is a stupid question, but the current thread about digital vs analog made me curious: if you look at an analog music signal you see (I think) summations of sine waves i.e. a signal waveform which is "smooth". I realize that there are many contributions to digital sound, but starting with the most basic, if you look at the output from a digital source e.g. on an oscilloscope, would it appear "smooth" i.e. has all the stairstepping that occurs when you convert digital to analog been smoothed out or would the signal appear jagged to some extent?

Thanks for your time.
berner99

Showing 1 response by gs5556

You will see an analog waveform. There is no such thing as a digital stair step waveform because a digital signal does not have a defined value between two points in time. It has only one discrete point, and that point in time is the instantaneous sample point. The "starstep" draws a line between two sample points, or it draws a line where the signal does not exist. It is just a picture created on paper to visualize a digital signal.