Bananas rule, spades drool. End of discussion.

I just checked my speaker connections. All using bananas, all nice and tight.

The number of times I’ve had spades get loose instead though.....

Point is, and it really is kind of a tongue in cheek thing, bananas beat spades for long term reliability in almost all setups.  If you have to use a Cardas or Mundorf speaker terminal to ensure your spades stay tight it kind of proves my point.

erik_squires

Showing 4 responses by coppy777

Vice-grips on your binding posts?  Really?  Must do wonders for resale.  AudioQuest makes a great hand wrench that fits both terminal sizes.

For my speaker cable, prefer bananas on the amplifier end as I need to swap + and - for a phase reversal.  Spades on the speaker end is all Wilson will accept.  

However, the silver spades on the big Wireworld Platinum cable are soft and sometimes break off when moving the speakers around.  Keep a bag of replacements.  Oh the problems of affluence.

Matthew,  I must defer to your professional skills. B&W and their knurls are a bit of a mystery though.  Years ago I had some Nautilus 800s and have no idea anymore how the speaker cables attached.  

Enjoy the music.

As mentioned, my Wilsons, with their big pretty hex heads, don’t accept banana connections.  Their latest model terminations now do.  And they sell them as expensive replacements.  Supposedly sound somewhat better.  Even my dealer thinks I probably have better things to do with that amount of money.  So not in the cards for me either, though tempting.  Wrench on my friend. Enjoy.