Bad recordings and high end audio

Hello. Have decided that the kids are out of the house and I can dedicate some space and money to my long ignored hobby. What is different now is there are so few audio stores. I firmly believe in listening to products so thus I start this great new chapter of my life. The first 2 stores I went to the people were very patient with me and I listened to a ton of combinations. They asked me did I want to hear anything else and I said  yes, ummm,.. how about Led Zeppelin? I received the same response from both stores which was “all Led Zeppelin recordings are horrible” except for this one version of Led Zeppelin 2…blah blah. So I said what happens if I am at home and i have a desire to play Led Zeppelin or another perceived poor recording? They did not have an answer for me nor did they play Led Zeppelin lol . I ended up ordering a pair of Magnepan 3.7i’s from a different store. 13 weeks until I get them, ouch. I am going to guess that people do listen to poor recordings on great systems because you just want to hear a particular album, right? Or am I missing something? Just looking for a bit of insight. Yes, I know they want it to sound the best so I will buy it but is that the only motivation. Or maybe they hate Led Zeppelin, lol.
daydream816

Showing 23 responses by daydream816

Thank you for the quick responses!! Still trying to decide on the other components to go with the 3.7is. There is plenty of information and opinions about that subject on these forums. Unfortunately, the place that had the Maggies had limited options. I do enjoy details of course, I would need to dive in regarding how to use tone controls effectively if my system has them. Is this an important function when I am searching for a preamp or integrated? I think I would have a tendency to  do what was suggested and listen to Led Zeppelin…loud!. Logic told me that i will enjoy all music on my new system, maybe some types better than others. I know there always is a sacrifice. I was just hoping that i did not miss some huge point and all of a sudden I only enjoyed Led Zeppelin through my blue tooth speaker better lol. 
My musical taste, like I am sure most people on here are all over the board. I love blues, , jazz,  solo voice and then I might want to listen to EDM. When I was younger, late 70s early 80s I heard some electrostats. I have had that sound implanted in my head since then. Thus the maggies. Yes, i know they are different then electrostats but I did get to compare some Martin Logans with maggies. So what is pleasing to me is detail and soundstage. Again, I am just getting back into my hobby and am trying my best to explain my thoughts. In hindsight, I wish I would not of skipped 25 years.   I have vinyl, a ton, but also would like to stream. My room is medium size ( 20x14) and empty, so I can do what I want in there. My initial thoughts are to pair a tube preamp with a SS amp. So many variables it is overwhelming , however I figure I need to start somewhere lol.  I must say I have watched so many stinking video reviews and spent hours on the forum. I agree to extend regarding storefronts. Limited brands, push their agenda ect. How often do you guys send stuff back  that  you buy direct? I do appreciate the input and patience in your responses, I know some of this is now second nature to you. 
@tomic601 i will be using a turntable and streaming. I do have an older NAD cd player and many CDs but I really dont listen to them much and do not believe that will change. 
Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you. You guys have  given me a ton of awesome suggestions and comments. I apologize as I did not stick a budget out there. I unfortunately do not have an unlimited budget. I would like to try and keep the rest of the system under 10k. I have a turntable to use. That would be the top of my current limit. This is a tough as I would like to do it less expensive then that. There are so many comments I like to acknowledge but can catch everyone. I did look at the Pass Lab stuff and thought they were out of my price range. Now I did not look at used stuff, I am open for that but would seriously be looking at your guys guidance. I can see myself collecting and searching for nice pressing as an extension of this hobby. Tape was always my dream when I was young and I see it is still around and expensive lol. I do have a tendency to overthink and over analyze. I live in Southeast Michigan. They have just one Magnepan dealer in the area. I did drive to another store that was a few hours away that said they had maggies and only had 1.7’s set up, they neglected to tell me this was the only pair they had and then really pushed B&W’s. I am going to read through your responses again and see if I can provide more information if needed.  I appreciate it each response! I am very excited to get this journey going. 
Thank you Russ, i did realize that and actually was able to listen to some Martin Logans next to the Maggies. I will admit I do not understand the complete mechanics behind each but have a general understanding. With my now 60 year old ears I enjoyed the Magnepans a bit more. At least in that particular environment. 
@tomic601  I actually have an appointment there tomorrow. They did not have Maggies so I was going to visit them after I heard some maggies. I even live in Ann Arbor so  they are very convenient :)  i did order the  Maggies however, the store said just let them know if I change my mind  because of the long wait period. I did like some dynaudio speakers I heard at another Ann Arbor store. I will look into your  other gear suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts down. How much of my budget should be a dac. I was looking at the Lumin products. 
I'm very much trying to take in all the info and enjoying every minute of this. It makes me even more excited. 
@asvjerry lol I know every word you said is true. I was nervous about posting  but am glad I did as I am finding so much info in the responses. I do first and foremost love music, i do however appreciate the sound that can be had with a nice system. I believe that you guys understand this. I get on genre jags lol. I am looking forward to discovering new music. I am always open. 
@tomic601 Chicago is only 4 hours away. Inthink that is a sound idea.. i know audio shows were mentioned earlier. I will look a few up and see if there are any near me. I am heading to Atlanta in November. 
I never was able to do much with tone controls. Although when I was a youngster I had a graphic equalizer and then a parametric equalizer I will now admit at 61 years old I had no idea what I was doing with them lol. I understood what you were saying with the master tape story. Thank you again Miller.
Thank you everyone for the huge amount of comments. This was my first real reach out and everyone has been so helpful.i learned a ton!  I am once again going to filter through the comments. So appreciate each one of you!
Sooo today I heard Sonus Faber that were similarly priced to the Magnepan 3.7i. Also heard Focal Kanta 2. These were around 10 k , I enjoyed my visit there. They have Macintosh stuff which is the first time I have seen or heard this. They also have audio research which I heard with the Maggies ( among other brands). I thought the Focal sound great. i wonder how they would do in my Med sized room. I found another place about an hour away that carried Goldenear speakers and listened to the triton ref. I really enjoyed this sound. All different sounding and I  like certain aspects of each one. Yes, most of these speakers I heard today are much more dynamics, I knew they would from the comments and some research.They are very helpful at paragon. In a couple weeks I will be taking a Friday-Sat trip to Chicago. I also have the number for the Atlanta store to visit when I gong here in Nov. had a fun day! Do I have it figured out … NOOOO lol.
@tomic601 i do love the sound of the maggies however today was the first time I thought the boxes were disappearing a bit even though every one was a box speaker.
@sgreg1 and @mikekollar I think you are both right and looking am forward to this aspect of a new system. I mist admit I currently feel the same was about Steely Dan that you describe so I better pick my system out carefully lol. Thank you. 
@dgibans those New Pass amps are out of my budget but I am keeping and eye out for used stuff. Thank you! 
I am 61 so I am trying to not even start that round about. I plan on retiring soon and am guessing I will not have the funds for a ton of constant upgrades. I have a pretty wide range of music I listen to. Seems like I get on jags and will be stuck on genre for a while. I love female vocals. Acoustic instruments. Horns ect. I guess I was really surprised when I started and went to  2 shops in a row and when they ask me if there was anything else I wanted to hear, I thought for a second and went through the music files in my head. I came up with Led Zeppelin lol. When they told me no  because there was only poor recording my thought was “ what happens if I want to listen to Led Zeppelin at home.”  That took me so off guard so then I turned to this awesome forum for help, vent and guidance. I have gotten priceless insights from you and everyone here so much so that I am kind of glad I ran into back to back Led Zeppelin haters lol. Thats a joke I know it was more then Led Zeppelin 😀 wait or maybe not lol .
@gumbedamit  i am still working on the amps to drive these things. I still have time as i was told 13 weeks for the maggies. Still have 9-10 weeks left. Looking at all options. Its been a challenge. Any one have an opinion about the Cary SS amp? Did not  know they had one but received an email about Labor day sale. 
@cycles2 thank you for letting me know about the subs even with the 20s. As I figure this out I might need to add the subs later from a cost perspective. I initially was thinking about the 1.7s but once I heard the 3.7is I knew I wanted them lol. So I spent a bit more on the speakers now I am reworking my budget ,  turning in all my cans and bottles lol 
@robert_1 rock will not be my main  genre of music. This all started because I was asked at 2 dealers in a row what else they could show me. I went through the different music I had heard and thought…hmmm…what about Led Zeppelin. They told me no lol.  
@arcticdeth. Thank you! I think that is great advice. I do believe I will develop a side hobby in search of the best recording of the music I want to listen to as described by others. 

Update and Thank you everyone!!!
I am not sure if this is the format to do this in but I finally have everything in place. Took forever to receive everything and thank you for your input and suggestions. I received the magnepans 3.7i’s, I decided on getting the Rogue Pharaoh  2 ( will eventually upgrade this to separates). I have a Chord qutest, blue sound node 2. I have my older NAD cd player going into the qutest as well. I had all ready had a project turntable. I have cables from Douglas Connections, he worked with me and did a great job. I am going to enjoy this for a while and eventually replace my turntable, as suggested. So far I am thoroughly enjoying this. The people that said I would start searching for recordings just because they sound good are soooo right! Like Steely Dan, lol. Oh and to the dealers that would not play Led Zeppelin when they said a”would you like to hear something else.” They sound better then they ever have lol. Thanks again everyone.