Background Hissing Noise When Idle

I have noticed a very slight background hissing noise coming out of the speakers when my system is turned on but idle - that is, when I am changing cds and the preamp and amp are turned on. This hissing noise increases as the volume increases, and can be heard as a slight background noise even when the music is playing.

What causes this hissing noise? Is it coming from the amp, the speakers, the preamp, the electricity itself, etc.? I know this is not a big deal. Then again, in our quest to become true audiophiles, I suppose any level of background hissing noise will distort the true sound quality.
I currently have a Krell KAV-1500 amp connected straight to the AC outlet on the wall. My Lexicon MC-1 preamp and Krell KAV-250cd player are connected to PS Audio Power Plant 300. I also use Cardas Golden Reference and Shunyata Black Mumba power cords. My speakers are B&W Nautilus 801s.

I thought that with my setup, I should hear no background noise distortion. So, is there any way to eliminate the background noise completely, or is this something I have to live with, as there is really no holy grail solution to this problem.

Your thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
avguy
I agree with Gthrish1. I would look into AC noise coming
into your system from your AC outlet. I just moved up to
a McIntosh setup that required more AC outlets than I had
used with my prior system.
When I first set up the system, I was using two lower
cost power strips. My system sounded overly bright and
there was a slight hiss in the sound - regardless of which
source I used. After a week or so, I plugged my entire
system into a Panamax 5300 Line Conditioner - and it cured
all my problems with system noise and brightness. My CD
and tuner music now come out of an absolutely silent back-
ground. Check this item out - Audio Advisor has them for
$499.00 - but I bet you could do better elsewhere.
Just a further thought.Go to the PS Audio website and print the procedure for tracing a hum.It should work the same for a hiss.Basically you need to disconnect everything except the speakers.If there is no hiss from the power amp alone,re-connect the preamp and listen again.If still quiet,re-connect components one at a time until the source of the noise is pinpointed.If the noise is from your ac line,a parallel filter might help.Good Luck!