B&W vs Von Schweikert house sound?

Looking to get handle on differences in sound between B&W 802N/D&803N/D and the various comparable VSA models: VR4SR, VR4SRmkii, VR5HSE, VR5SE (although the 5SE may be beyond the range of comparison, no?). What are the distinctive differences between them, ie,
which is warmer,
has more detail,
is more analytical,
more forgiving of bad recordings,
gets deeper and provides more visceral bass
provides more articulate vs boomy bass,
better soundstage and imaging,
has more liveliness or live feel,
widest dispersion/sweetspot,
less finicky about placement
would play nice in 15x18 basement

Thanks much...Jeff
jeffkad

Showing 1 response by nick778

Some people don't prefer the B&W 800 series with the diamond tweeters as they are usually heard at dealers who also carry MacIntosh or Classe.

Unless they are hooked up to Mac 501 monos or Classe CAM 400 monos and at least bi-wired, they can sound constrained and you'll never hear what they are capable of.

I listened to these amps with my 803D mains and wasn't entirely satisfied. The speakers, however, woke up when connected to a Spectron MK2 that has 600/watts of power and I've never heard them sound so good whether at low or medium volumes.

The B&W 800 diamond series are tough to drive as their nominal impedances of 8 ohms drop to 2-3 ohms during play and only a few amps are stable at these impedeances. The Spectron is stable down to 0.1 ohms.

I also have them shotgun wired with Mont Blanc speaeker cables and they sound better with speaker wires that are at least bi-wired.

My 2 cents.