B & W speaker upgrade suggestions

I am currently using B&W CM4 speakers for my front speakers, and a B&W CMC center speaker. I use them bi-wired with a Rotel 1055 receiver, Rotel RMB 1075 power amp, a Rotel 1072 CD-player and my beloved Teres 160 turntable. My rear speakers are Infinity Alpha 20s. My sub-woofer is an Onix Rocket. My system, due to space constraints is used for pseudo home theatre (I don't have a dedicated room) and music, with the emphasis on musicality.

My musical preferences are somewhat varied, but tend to be mostly in the jazz, classical, classic rock, world music, and blues genres.

At some point in the future (probably far future!) I would like to upgrade my main speakers. My fantasy budget is $5000. I know this amount is somewhat limiting, but I doubt that I will be able to afford more. Besides which, my sources (other than the Teres turntable, IMO) are no doubt considered mid-fi here on Audiogon, so stellar speakers would just point out their short comings. I also have a preference for maple/birds-eye maple finishes, just because I like the look of the wood, but finish is secondary to sound.

Anyway, any suggestions as to what speakers I should consider?

Holly
oakiris
The Cain & Cain Abbys look splendid in person! I am getting the natural finish ones. These speakers are made out of real wood, not veneer and plywood. They sound incredible, IMHO, and at an amazingly low price.

I was planning to spend $5000 on my speaker upgrade, I am now going to spend less than $2000 on the main fronts. (This includes some new speaker cables - the ones I have now are bi-wires with banana connectors; the Abbys, have only one driver, so only have two binding posts and you need bare wire or spades....) Thus I will have plenty left over for a new center, if I decide to go that route. Or maybe for some new vinyl, or.... :-D

Holly
During this time I was trying to decide between upgrading my fronts to B&W 802Ds or 803Ds. I finally decided to go all out for my room size and save up for the 802Ds with a Bryston 14B SST for the extra 2 channel amp to bring my system up to full 7.1 surround. It'll take 6-8 months to save up for it. :(
I bet it will be worth the wait, Jkalman! At least you have decided on what to save up for. Now that I have decided which main speakers I want, I have to figure out what speakers, if any, will match the Abbys for my center and rears. I really think Abbys, and the other Cain & Cain speakers, are made for 2-channel systems, so it maight be a bit awkward to blend in other speakers.

It's a good thing we all like a challenge, isn't it? :-)

Holly
If I were you, and since you do have a lot of money left over now, I would just use the same speaker for everything, except the sub. Lay one on its side for a center (or don't depending on your TV setup) and get two for the rears. I've heard it is a terrible idea to mix brands or sometimes even series within one brand. My biggest worry is that the 801D won't match well with the rest of my speakers which are 7 series.

Oh, BTW I may be getting the 801Ds instead now, I found a demo pair for half the price of retail! I can't pass that up if he gives me that price. This also means I could own them in two or three months now (and I'll save up for the 2 channel amp later).
A lucky find for you, Jkalman! A great price for what is said to be a very good speaker.

I, too, have read that it is best to get the same speakers/series all away around for the best HT sound. Though having the Abbys as rear speakers is certainly a possibility, have you seen a picture of the Abbys? I don't think laying one on its side would work. http://www.cain-cain.com/abby/index.html

I emailed Terry Cain yesterday. He responded and said that he was planning to make a center speaker soon; I am going to wait for that. I'll try to figure out something for the rear speakers - another $1500 for a pair of Abbys is doable I suppose, though I really wanted something smaller. I'm not sure that my room can handle two pairs of these largish speakers. :~

Holly