B&W Nautilus 803 & 804 Vs The World

How different does the 803 and 804 sound? And how do these compare to other comparablely priced dynamic speakers, such as a Revel F30, Dunlavy Aletha or even the more expensive Avalon Arcus?
tbonephile

Showing 4 responses by psjulian

tburk,if you love the 804's stay with them. in audio as in life bigger is not better. balance rules. if your room is large go bigger, if not use your money on cables. i have a simple style. if you can achieve the sound you love with as few components as possible then do it! i found heaven with the mark levinson #383 intergrated giving the n804's and my ears all they can handle. my next venture is to find a one box cd player without a preamp or volume control. any opinions would be greatly appreciated. i am thinking electrocompaniet emc-1. peace and good listening.
Tburk,

Synergy is very good. I wouldn't go further. Sounds like you have it together. Unless you want a turn table, there are plenty of great line level pre-amps out there. Trust your ears. I don't know what your budget is, but as your cables state, Synergy is important. Find a good Levinson on audiogon. Peace and good listening. psjulian
tburk, i don't understand your need for a pre-amp. i wish i knew more about the #39 before i purchased my gear. because of some events in my life at the time my only choice was to go with changing my amp. i had the 804's with a c-j intergrated and the sound was lacking. i found a dealer that sells both c-j and levinson. i received a fair trade in for my c-j and i bought the levinson on the advice of my dealer. as i stated, i like to keep things simple. i do not wish to pay for more than i need. so the #39 is more than i need. i don't have much use for added gear such as dac's, etc. the added cable's make for areas of sound loss even with the best of them. so my advice to you is to enjoy the music. you have some of the best sound money can buy. me, i have a good cd player with a great amp and great speakers, silver interconnects and silver and copper speaker wire. i wish levinson made just a cd player. no built in pre-amp, no volume control, and no external dac. so my search for a great one box cd player goes on. not sure about sacd. peace and good listening.
i have listened to both extensively and on the advise of the sales rep. who has sense become a good friend went with the 804's. they are the most living room friendly speakers i have accountered. very high on the wife appreciation list. when placed accordingly , i used the cardas method and only varied slightly , they sound incredible. the 803's have more bass , yes , but not better sound. the voicing seams more balanced in the 804,s and the slight adjustment in placement was to place the speakers only a couple of inches closer to the rear wall and the bass was as strong as you could ask for without booming and remaining balanced. yes 802's rule if you have the space and amps to let them sing!! i hope this helps. peace and good listening