B&W N805 vs Revel M20

Hi, I currently have a set of B&W CDM1 NT (with their matching FS-CDM stands) in a relatively small room. Would like to upgrade to either the N805 or the Revel M20 (both with stands). Which one do you recommend? One advantage that I see for the N805 is that they can be biwired/biamped. The M20 have only one set of terminals.

I am driving the speakers with an Arcam A32 100Wpc integrated amp. Thanks.
gustavog

Showing 3 responses by jrwr7

Hey Gustavog,

I've since sold my M-20s and bought the Dynaudio 1.3MkIIs. But before I let them go I was using the Plinius SA-250MkIV to drive them. This amp can drive a truck if hooked up right.....John
Hey Gustavog,

I've owned the M-20s and they need power. I had them hooked up to a Krell KAV-500 with the very same 100 WPC and up to about medium sound levels they were only good. After that, at higher volume levels, the soundstage would collapse. The Krell could not handle the demands the M-20s put on it. Remember the M-20s are a 6-ohm load and are only 85 to 86 dbs of sensitivity. So they are relatively hard to drive. On the other hand, the '805s are an easier speaker to drive but I prfer the M-20s. Hope this helps. Happy hunting......John
Hey Gustavog,

I bought the 1.3MkIIs because in an A-B comparison between them and the M-20s, I found the Dyns smoother in the highs (silk dome vs. aluminum dome tweeter) and they have a deeper and broader soundstage then the M-20. I found the M-20s to have a more forward, immediate sound, especially the highs, in my system, where the Dyns are more neutral and a little laidback in the highs. Of course this is all system dependent and some will find just the opposite with different equipment. If you can find them and get a listen I would highly recommend you take a listen to the 1.3MkIIs. Hope this helps......John