B&W N804 System Upgrade - Cary CD?

B&W N804 Speakers, Bryston 3B-ST Amp, Velodyne Subs, B&K AC3/DTS Surround Sound Processor, Sony DVD/CD player, Adcom 5 disc carosel, N Center, B&W Bipolar Rears, Synergistic interconnect, along with Kimber. I recently connected my N804s to a 300W Classe, and a 250W Bryson, used a Classe pre, and the Cary CD 301. Both amps created a fantastic sound stage reproducing a real life experience (just like a jazz club). By far the best listening experience ever, no price dependencies and systems in great stores. Noticed that the Cary CD sounded gave a great soundstage and separation. However, it my be giving up a little too much in detail and does not have HDCD. I'm looking for recommendations on going with any of the following upgrades: (1st choice) Cary CD 301 or 303 (2nd) Bryston 3BST to bi-amp the N804s (3rd) 250+W Bryston or another great amp (4th) Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player (5th) Better pre/surround sound processor I think my CD is in dtrastic need of an overhaul, and I want to get the best sound out of my system. (60% Audio, 40% Movies)
ftbuckeye

Showing 1 response by kevperro

I really have to agree with doug. The B&K processor is bringing you down. I used to have a B&K PT-3 that is based upon the same pre-amp as your processor. Had Pertetual Technologies DAC & Anti-jitter box running into the B&K and then into my Aragon amp driving Hales Revelations. I ordered a relatively inexpensive tubed pre-amp and it was the biggest upgrade I've experienced. Just incredible differnce. The pre-amp is a AES AE-3 but I think you could use any number of good two channel pre-amps and get good results. As far as upgrading your CD player I would look at Bel Canto, Perpetual Technologies or an EVS DAC using your current player as a transport. Get the pre-amp first though or you will never hear how good a great DAC can sound. If you go with the EVS DAC you might be able to use a stepped attenuator instead of dropping cash on a pre-amp. I prefer an active pre-amp but opinions differ.