B&W N803 versus Dynaudio Contour 3.4

I am in the final stages of making a speaker decision. It has been approximately 15 years since I last bought speakers and would like to get a decent set around $5000 which I plan to keep for a few years. I am down to the B&W N803's and Dynaudio Contour 3.4's. Honestly, I cannot decide. I like both sets. This is a great forum with very informed individuals and I would like your input. Which of these two do you like best and why? Why would I want to purchase one set over the other? I am putting together a combo HT and stereo system in the same room. I will use them about 60-40, HT versus music. If it matters my room is app. 19X20 with 16ft ceilings. Thanks in advance for your input.
pen_man

Showing 2 responses by dmichael

Lucynbarney - I find it interesting that you would describe any Dynaudio product more metallic than N803's. My ears tell me the exact polar opposite. It's worth noting that it could be the associated equipment and/or setup introducing a metal or a non-metal sound in either speakers you auditioned.
Lucynbarney - please take this as constructive critisizim. I have made many audio buying decisions putting greater weight on aestethics versus pure performance. My experience is that most of the time I regretted my choice when aestethics ruled my decision and later had to replace it. Lessons learned. May I suggest to you that when you are comparing 2 of anything, try to audition within the context of the same system/room. This is the only way to truly understand what something sounds like. I know, it is near impossible these days, but if you can do it, in the long run, it will help you to get the overall sound you are looking for and you will be happier for it. I love the N803's. They really sounded their best when I heard them with a Meridian CDP, VTL 5.5 tubed pre and a big Goldmund SS amp. This was a truly great combo. Enjoy!